Controversial anti-trans speaker coming to Pitt

Professor Scott Stiegemeye is causing outrage because of his stance on the transgender community

Right on the heels of Milo Yiannopoulos’ visit, Pitt is going 0-for-2 with Professor Scott Stiegemeyer, an anti-trans pastor who is coming to the O’Hara Student Center Dining Room on Friday, April 8th, from 7-8pm. He will be giving a lecture entitled “Man or Woman? Transgender and Gender Identity,” during which he will voice his disapproval of the transgender community.

Scott Stiegemeyer graduated from the seminary program at Concordia University and has a Master’s degree in bioethics from Trinity International University. He has been a pastor at Redeemer Lutheran Church in Elmhurst for the past six years. His wife, Julie, has published over twenty children’s books.

Courtesy of www.thecruxofthematter.net

Professor Stiegemeyer is absurdly unqualified to give this lecture. He has no experience with trans people, nor does he have any credibility or expertise when it comes to LGBTQ issues. But, undeterred by Stiegemeyer’s laughable lack of knowledge the subject he is going to be lecturing about, the Lutheran Student Fellowship of Pittsburgh and the Catholic Newman Club have invited him anyway.

Stiegemeyer’s opposition to transgenderism is religion-based. He states on his “Higher Things” website, “The desire to possess a different body is not God-pleasing, even if it is inborn. Nor is it God-honoring to surgically meddle with fully functional and healthy body parts. Because we are fallen creatures, we are born with many sinful desires—desires that we do not always choose to feel.”

I read through the site to see more of his opinions on the LGBTQ community, abortion, same-sex marriage, and women, and all I learned was that anyone can have a website.

Courtesy of www.thecruxofthematter.net

Clearly, Scott Stiegemeyer is wrong. Medically, scientifically, and logically, his claims about transgenderism being a curable “sin” are factually inaccurate. Studies, such as the one published in Psychological Science, have shown that trans people consistently show an implicit preference for the non-natal gender they identify as, and this preference is biologically-based.

The problem lies not in Steigemeyer’s lack of insight, but in the choice Pitt made to allow him to speak here. I am a free speech absolutist, and I believe that people should be allowed to say whatever they want, no matter how ridiculous. However, while you have the freedom to be wrong and proud of it, you are not exempt from criticism.

It’s hard to view Stiegemeyer’s invite here as a coincidence, particularly after Pitt just implemented gender-neutral bathroom laws. It’s clear that gender sensitivity and inclusiveness have upset some special snowflakes on campus, who prioritize their religious beliefs over the wellbeing and safety of trans people, a group that is already vulnerable and marginalized.

Example of common language for gender-neutral restrooms.

According to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, transgender individuals have a 41% attempted suicide rate (compared to a 3.6% rate for the general population). Scott Stiegemeyer may try to claim that this high rate of suicide attempts is caused by a “spiritual illness.” However, anyone with critical thinking skills and a minor grasp of elementary biology will see that many of the problems the trans community face are caused by discrimination and prejudice, both of which are reflected in attitudes such as Stiegemeyer’s. The decision to have him speak here is a slap in the face to those who fought to make Pitt a more gender-neutral place.

Unfortunately for Stiegemeyer, the first amendment only prevents the government from infringing upon his right to be ignorant—it does not shield him from the rest of us. There will be a protest on Friday at 7PM, hosted by Taylor Page. For more information on the event, click here.

University of Pittsburgh college event pastor pitt pittsburgh students transgender