Stand for State Action Week: Here’s what you missed

Working to make Happy Valley a safer and happier place

When deciding what college to attend, each student has a different list of criteria. Some students may want to attend a big football school, some want a good pre-law program, and others may pick a school because they have good food options. But no matter what the reason is that you picked Penn State, you are here now.

With that said, don’t you want to feel safe on campus? Isn’t part of the college experience having fun, but being safe while doing it? Luckily we attend a school that is big on student safety. One of the ways they make sure to keep students safe is through Stand for State.

Stand for State has taught so many students how to look out for others and keep them safe. This action week is specifically about Sexual Harassment – all too often our phones are going off with a text alert saying there has been another case of sexual assault. What can we do to stop that? Green Dot signs were placed in various locations around campus to show what can be done.

The first thing to do is know that even if it isn’t happening to you, doesn’t mean you can’t stop it. A big part of Stand for State is by encouraging the students to speak up and change our standards. For example, if you see a friend of yours leave a party with a random guy she just met, don’t let her leave. Even if it’s a stranger, if someone is clearly being pressured into something that they don’t want to do, step in or tell someone.

Stand for State has laid out three easy ways to do this. They say “If you see concerning behavior… remember the 3D’s”. The three D’s are:

Direct

• Ask “is he/she too drunk to hook up?”
  • Help them find friends
  • Grab some friends and check in together

Distract

• Diffuse by asking to borrow their phone
  • Say their friends are looking for them

Delegate

• Ask his/her friends to check in
  • Have the host check in
  • Inform an RA
  • Call 911 or 814.863.1111

This whole week in the HUB, Stand for State has had booths set up from 11am to 2pm. At these booths students, including myself, have pledged to stand up against sexual harassment. We have committed to making Penn State a safer place for everyone!

Penn State