We asked OSU students about their most infamous Too’s moments

#SaveToos

Tentatively, on June 16, the bar Too’s Spirits Under High will be closing. This establishment, with its awesome owners and regular acoustic singer Jon White, will be shutting their doors in order to make way for a new hotel on High Street.

Recently, a handful of Buckeyes were interviewed in regards to what their best and worst/funniest experiences have been at this classic campus bar. Here’s what they had to say:

Jake, Marketing

Best experience

“When I turned 21,and started attending ‘Toosdays’ quite a bit more, it (Toos) became quite the staple for the football team. So, the first time I went to ‘Toosday,’ out of the blue Joey Bosa and Zeke walk in about two weeks after they won the national championship. It was cool to see them, and it made me really feel like I was apart of the Ohio State community.”

Worst/funniest experience

“It’s always a battle to get a table, like, I’ve been there at 8PM and held a table for 2-3 hours. One time my friends and I got there around 10PM and it was packed. We noticed there was one table empty, so I decided to sit down at the table with my buddies and noticed some weird smell and thought it was normal. Joe (friend) says “Dude, I can’t take the smell anymore” and said we should leave. So, I got up and realized that I had been sitting in puke for about a half-hour.”

Annie, Communications

Best experience

“When I went to Toos with my family, and a ton other family friends this past summer. We all drink 40s usually, so we were the only ones in the bar drinking and passing around 40s and just dancing like crazy. People were coming up to us asking if they could join our dance circle because we looked like we were having fun. The night also consisted of a lot of Tidal Wave shots. Toos is an awesome atmosphere, and I’m glad I got to share it with my family.”

Worst/funniest experience

“I haven’t really had a bad experience at Toos. However, the first time my brother came to visit me, I was hyped to take him to Toos. I had been talking it up so much, and said ‘Matt, we HAVE to go to Toos tonight! It’ll be so much fun!’ So we go to Toos on a Saturday night, primetime for Toos, and for some reason Jon White wasn’t there. So I had been talking it up so much, trying to be cool, and we go there and it’s empty because Jon wasn’t there.”

Adam, Logistics and International Business

Best experience

“My best experience at Toos was a 21st birthday party for one of my close friends. It was a lot of my friends from home, and it was an absolute blast with the live music on a Friday night.”

Worst/funniest experience

“My worst experience at Toos was when I got Tidal Wave’d on my 21st birthday.”

Adam ended his interview by saying: “Toos is a great time no matter what. I really love Toos, and am going to miss it.”

Meena, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Business Minor

Best experience

“My best experience at Toos was when my friends and I danced with a homeless person. No description needed. It was just a really good time.”

Worst/funniest experience

“One of my guy friends ‘cap tapped’ another guy friend’s 40 to make it fizz and bubble out of the bottle, and they both ended up dropping their 40s  and shattered the bottles. There was glass everywhere, we felt so awkward. So, we just left.”

Lily, Public Affairs, Non-Profit Management Minor

Best experience

“My best memory of Too’s has to be the night of the National Championship. It was our senior year and my roommates and I had just witnessed history being made as the Bucks held up the Natty Champs trophy. We couldn’t think of a better place to celebrate this than our favorite place on High St., Too’s. We made the trek from the Gateway to our favorite basement and we were instantly greeted with the beautiful stench of stale beer and dignities lost. This night was different though, we were now not only The Ohio State Buckeyes but The Ohio State Buckeyes: National Champions. On this special night, the owner of Too’s, Scott, agreed to let us crazy college kids up on the pool table to make fools of ourselves and celebrate the win. I will never forget dancing the night away to summer hits and old school jams of the 90s on this majestic elevated surface with my best friends while ending the night with multiple tidal waves to the face.”
Worst/funniest experience
“It was Halloween my senior year and my roommates and I (also known as the JankPad) had high hopes and goals for our final fall semester. We were determined to win the Too’s costume contest. For hours we spent brainstorming ideas on how we were going to take home the gold that Halloween. Then our roommate said the most beautiful words that I have ever heard, “Why don’t we just dress up as Too’s employees?” The next few days was spent dedicating all of our time and energy to finding photos of our favorite Too’s workers and acoustic guitarist/singer and channeling every part of their being. Seeing as we are all female and many of the employees we chose are male, we knew what we had to do to win—become dudes for a night. Cue us calling up our male neighbors to borrow jeans, using our usually feminine eyeliner to draw on the exact facial hair patterns needed and pulling our hair back and tucking it under flat bills while rocking our favorite Too’s gear. We will never forget the look on their faces when a group of doppelgangers walked into that basement ready to collect their prize. Did we win 1st place? You bet your ass we did. A year of free beer was great, but nothing beat the glory and pride we gained from coveting the top prize at our favorite bar. “

(Pictured: Top- Lily with Scott, the owner of Toos, dressed as the owner of Toos. Bottom- Lily along with her JankPad roommates in their winning Halloween costumes.)

After hearing some of these student’s experiences, it is clear that Toos memories will live on forever and be cherished. As Buckeyes go out on High Street for the next couple months, just keep one phrase in the back of your mind: #savetoos.

Ohio State