The only study playlist you’ll need this finals season

Get in the ~groove~

Has studying got you down? Do you feel like you’re just not into it this year? Have you never really considered yourself “into” studying? Well, you’re not alone.

Here’s a list of songs that can ease the pain of studying just a bit. Or, help you along the way as you cruise through those heaps of lectures you were only half paying attention to. There should be at least one song you like, regardless of your genre preferences. Except country, because who listens to country when they study?

“Home” by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes

Because we all know it’s where we want to be at this point in the semester. It’s upbeat, it’s loving and it will be stuck in your head for the rest of the day.

“All Night” and “Sunday Candy” by Chance the Rapper

Because you just may be up all night, so why not bob your head to something catchy? Plus, Chance puts just about everyone in a better mood. So here’s some new(er) and old Chance to soothe your soul.

“I’m Just a Kid” by Simple Plan

It’s time to wallow in self-pity – I get it. Nobody knows that better than Simple Plan, or your elementary-school self. It’s a bonus if it reminds you to watch Cheaper by the Dozen.

“All My Friends” by LCD Soundsystem

Let yourself become entranced by this song and actually get some work done for the next seven and a half minutes.

“Lose Yourself to Dance” by Daft Punk

Keep the trance going. It’s unlikely you’ll make it through the whole song without embarrassingly dancing along, but what’s life without a little risk, am I right?

“Caring is Creepy” by The Shins

The title can be applied to your grades, if that helps. A nice, soft jam with a fun title. It won’t give you any street cred with your hipster friends, because this is easily one of their best-known songs, but you’ll still like it. Maybe.

“Sunshine” by Atmosphere

Maybe you can relate because you’re super hungover, maybe you just like the backbeat. Either way, do yourself a favor and play this song on loop.

“Bleeding Love” by Leona Lewis

Are finals actually just ruining your life? Did you forget this song existed? It might help. Preferably if belted out in the shower, or something.

“Atlas Hands” by Benjamin Francis Leftwich

Just really nice. Please, listen, it’ll make your day better. Even if you’re pissed about how long his name is.

“Merry Xmas (War Is Over) by John Lennon

It’s almost Christmas! Even if you don’t celebrate Christmas or care about Christmas music, this one is just the right mixture of merry and emo.

“Waves” by Kanye

Waves don’t die and neither will your studying spirit. But, to be fair, breaking down from stress (though not a laughing matter) is probably the most relatable thing Kanye has done in a while for a college student. Feel better Kanye.

“Green” by DENM

A love song for your blues. It feels both like you’re at a party and underneath your blankets.

“Power Trip” by J Cole

So you can go back in time before you ever thought he would drop an album you only think is “okay.” Plus, maybe it’ll give you some confidence going into your finals.

“Automatic Stop” by The Strokes

You know “Last Nite” but haven’t really ventured into much else by The Strokes? Nows the perfect time!

“A Million Other Things” by pronoun

Do you need a sad, indie love song? Have you been fantasizing about going home? Then you’re two for two on this hit from pronoun!

“From Time” and “Marvins Room” by Drake

Here are two heartbreak Drakes. They’re slow and have heavy backbeats, so if you don’t like listening to the words while studying, you don’t have to.

“Skinny Love” and “22 (Over Soon)” by Bon Iver

I’m fully aware I attached that full album. Few albums will fill you with as much serenity as you go through your studies. (Skinny Love starts seven minutes, though, if that’s all you’re in it for). No matter what way you pronounce his name, you have to agree the man has a beautiful voice. And remember, when it comes to finals, “It might be over soon.”

Enjoy your time studying, and good luck! Hopefully these songs will make it just a little less terrible.

University of Michigan