Should we be allowed to carry concealed guns on campus?

‘Permit or not, guns on campus just don’t sound safe’

With America’s heightened fear of mass shootings and increasing debates over gun control, is there a place for handguns at the University of Maryland?

On August 1, 2016, a recently passed Texas law will go into effect permitting all individuals with a concealed handgun license to carry their loaded, concealed weapon in college and university buildings.

Although the implications of this law are still unknown, Texas’s decision has already proven to be extremely controversial.

The law has been supported by many gun rights activists, but has also faced heavy criticism from students and professors. Some believe permitting students to carry handguns will increase safety by allowing gun owners to defend themselves in the case of a mass shooting, while others cite the decision as irresponsible and unnecessary.

I took to the streets of College Park to see how my fellow Terps felt about the place of guns on our campus.

Antonia, Freshman, Criminology

“No, I think that there are much better ways to keep us safe than allowing thousands of students to carry concealed weapons.”

Bradley, Sophomore, Biochemistry

“No. Permit or not, guns on campus just don’t sound safe.”

Maddie, Freshman, Communications

“I don’t think that guns should be allowed on campus. I actually think that being allowed to bring guns onto school campuses will increase the odds of there being a shooting at all. Reckless shooters often have their guns illegally, so the permits will most likely do nothing to deter students from bringing and using their guns on campus.”

Wesley, Sophomore, Mechanical Engineering

“In theory, I don’t think it’s a bad policy, however it’d have to be paired with a higher level of difficulty to get a permit than we currently have in Maryland.”

Brandon, Freshman, Undecided

“I think that’d be a bad idea because allowing people to have guns on campus with little regulation seems dangerous, especially in a party environment.”

Alexis, Senior, Government and Politics

“I think our school offers enough safety tips and services as is, so it’s not really necessary. Having guns on campus would probably do more harm than good.”

Will, Freshman, Computer Science

“I’d say yes because some students might feel the need to protect themselves in some bad areas of town, and if they have the appropriate licenses they should be allowed to.”

University of Maryland