The struggle of being a SMAD major is real

Other majors treat us like we’re idiots

Don’t get me wrong or anything, I love being a SMADDIE, but there are some real struggles that come along with the major.

Applying to the program is a pain

Not only are you required to apply into the major, but you also have to complete an entire intro course (SMAD 101) as part of the application process and earn no less than a “C-“.

Yeah, you read that right. If you get admitted into the major but don’t pass the class, then you’ll get dropped from the major. If you pass the class but don’t get admitted into the major, then you parents just wasted I don’t know how much money on credits.

A student may apply no more than two times to the school for admission. There are two application periods for admission to SMAD: September and January.

Dealing with required courses that have nothing to do with what you want to do

The SMAD program has a total of four concentrations – Converged Media, Digital Video and Cinema, Integrated Advertising and Corporate Communication and Journalism.

Like hello, I applied into the program because I wanted to write, not learn how to work a damn camera in a newsroom. I just wanna know what the f*** camera recording has to do with journalism. Last time I checked I didn’t want to work for the evening news and in all honesty, I’ve only taken ONE writing class since getting accepted into the major. All the others have consisted of learning about Adobe programs, making websites or learning about advertisements.

I completely understand that they want to broaden or knowledge when it comes to media, but damn. In the whole journalism concentration there’s only three, I repeat THREE complete writing classes–Feature Writing, News Reporting and Writing and Advanced Reporting and Writing.

Yes, I know there are others that might include some kind of writing aspect like Magazine Production or New Media Journalims, but I’m talking about just writing classes. My goal was to practice my writing and editing skills as much as possible, but I haven’t been able to do that.

Oh, and one last thing. Dear SMAD program, I think it’s time you give broadcast journalism it’s own concentration.
Stupid rules for class enrollment

The most tedious time of year. And this goes for all majors really, but I think the SMAD program goes the extra mile by never letting people get overrides into classes. There have been so many occasions where I really think I’m not going to graduate on time because the classes are super small which then leads to them filling up too quickly and I’m definitely not going to take some other random class to fulfill my credit requirement. That would be like taking unwanted gen eds just to get them over with.

The advisors suck

Maybe this is just me having bad luck, but my advisor seriously sucks at being my advisor. He’s rude and is always sending me to other people and departments to find the answer to my questions.

Harrison Hall

It’s a literal love/hate relationship with this building. There was only one SMAD class that I didn’t take in Harrison and even when you’re not in class you’re still finding your way back in to finish a project or rent equipment.
Fun facts: For those of you who didn’t know, Harrison has a basement (aka the dungeon), a ground floor, a first floor and the finally the second floor.

Having to double major or pile on minors

Believe it or not, but SMAD is only a 36 credit major. After the torture of having to apply, get in and take classes I really don’t care about, I had to add two minors on top of gen ed requirements in hopes of graduating on time. And with that I’m still one credit too low.

A lot of people in the major either went the same route I did with two minors and the rest are pretty much double majoring. (At least to my knowledge)

Projects on projects on projects 

Not so much this semester (at least not yet), but last semester for my print design class I had a new assignment every class.

“I don’t like having to rely on other people to get my work done. Not in the sense of group work, but in the case of most journalism work I can’t get my stuff done until my sources get back to me and that can be really frustrating when I have to juggle assignments for other classes too. I also don’t like having to check out equipment and all the problems that can happen with cameras and accessories that aren’t my fault at all, but hinder by ability to do my work.” -Brooke Bogin, Junior

Other majors look down on us

Ok, we freaking get it. Our major may only be 36 credits, but it’s so much work. It’s not easy being tech savvy when you know nothing about computers.

“Other majors that are supposedly hard as shit are a bunch of memorization, but SMAD majors actually have to have certain skills and apply them. Like anyone could memorize some information but not everyone knows how to do the things we have to do.” – Kanchan Woods, Junior

We are one of the most underrated majors at JMU, but in reality our classes emphasize collaboration and innovation. We have to know how to work well with others and under pressure. All of our work is very detail-oriented.

James Madison University