Why you should still be excited to vote this election

Consider marijuana legalization, stricter gun laws, changing the minimum wage and healthcare reform

This election has been a particularly trying one, and pretty much everybody is feeling like things could have gone better. Before you throw in the towel, claiming democracy is dead, or turn your back on politics for another four years, consider that across America there will be over 150 ballot measures in 35 states. Of those, 74 were drafted by citizens and passed through a petition process, circumventing elected officials and state legislatures.

Sure, ordinary people can feel helpless in politics when they don’t feel entirely confident in who or what they are voting for. That’s why ballot measures are important! Every day people can and have started signature based petitions to get issues onto statewide ballots. Typically the kinds of topics that these ballot initiatives address are pretty contested.

So what are some of the topics for ballot measures in 2016?

Marijuana laws are being challenged in 10 states

Despite the DEA’s recent decision to maintain marijuana’s Schedule 1 status, marijuana is being included on ballots in a historic way this year. Ten states will be voting for or against medical marijuana and the legalization of recreational marijuana. Medical marijuana will be put to a vote in Montana, Florida, Arkansas, North Dakota and Florida while voters will be making a decision about recreational marijuana in Massachusetts, Maine, California, Arizona and Nevada.

With recreational marijuana already legal in Colorado, Alaska, Washington State and Washington DC it is beginning to feel as if the tides are turning when it comes to the public perception of legal weed. Colorado has already seen enormous revenue generated by marijuana sales going towards public projects, along with reductions in overall crime. Scientific American has even written that teen usage of marijuana is lower than the national average and has even lowered slightly since retail marijuana stores opened up in 2014.

Since states have started to ignore federal law and go ahead with legalization, many people are starting to see that the world doesn’t fall apart when you make a plant like marijuana legal. People will use it regardless, so why not at least benefit from it and tax it like any other commodity? Public perception nationwide has shifted in recent years, hitting an all time high (no pun intended) well over 50 percent. If Massachusetts legalizes marijuana it will likely have an enormous impact on flipping other states in New England and on the East Coast. Perhaps this November will usher in a new era for pot smokers.

The minimum wage

Although the minimum wage has been the topic of debate in the Democratic Party this election cycle, five states have the issue onto their ballots. Regardless of how the presidential race unfolds, 5 states are letting their citizens decide for themselves how to approach the minimum wage in their state.

Arizona’s Proposition 206 is a ballot initiative that would make the minimum wage in the state be $12 per hour by 2020, and would also make paid sick time a right for employees.

Colorado will be voting on Amendment 70 in November. This initiative will ensure that by January 1st of 2020, the minimum wage in the state will be $12.

Question 4 in Maine will be deciding whether or not citizens want to ensure that the minimum wage will also be $12 by 2020.

South Dakota is voting on a particularly ill worded ballot initiative in November called the South Dakota Youth Minimum Wage Veto Referendum. This referendum will decide whether or not workers under the age of 18 should have their wages reduced from $8.50 an hour to $7.50 an hour.

Initiative 1433 in Washington State aims to incrementally increase the minimum wage to $13.50 by the year 2020, and also make employers offer paid leave to workers.

Gun laws

As more and more tragedies unfold that involve firearms, people are becoming increasingly polarized over how guns should be regulated in society. Regardless of where you stand on the issue, you may be interested to find out what laws are being put to a public vote and where.

In California, citizens will be voting on Proposition 63 on November 8th. This proposition will make background checks necessary in some cases, and will also ban the sale of high capacity magazines for ammunition. If you live in California and you want to know more about Proposition 63, you can find more information here.

Maine is extremely rural, but apparently people there also believe it is time they make changes to their gun laws. Question 3 will be on the ballot in Maine on November 8th, and citizens statewide will be deciding whether or not background checks will be required for all gun sales that are not being made by licensed gun dealers.

Nevada is voting on a similar statute as Maine. In Nevada, people will be answering Question 1, a ballot measure that would restrict all gun sales to be through a licensed dealer who can conduct a background check. Question 1 in Nevada has some fine print, so if you want to know more read up on it here.

Voters in Washington State will be voting on Initiative 1491. If passed, initiative 1491 will authorize a court to restrict an individual’s access to firearms. This would only be used in the case of an individual being a danger to themselves and others safety.

Healthcare

California is voting on two ballot measures this year regarding health care. Voting yes on Proposition 52 means you agree that voter approval should be required to alter the required fees from hospitals that are used to match funds from the Federal Government to fund the Cali-Med program. Proposition 61 in California is designed to ensure that drug prices be regulated by making sure state agencies pay the same price for prescription drugs as the United States Department for Veteran Affairs.

Colorado will be making a decision in November regarding Amendment 69, which will set up the ColoradoCare system. This will be a universal healthcare system paid for with a 10 percent increase on income taxes. Click here for more information on what ColoradoCare will do and how it will be paid for.

Question 4 in Nevada will decide how the state legislature taxes medical equipment in sales for human use by a licensed healthcare professional. This tax exempt status will cover all kinds of medical equipment, from crutches to CPAP machines.

Washington State has put forth Advisory Vote 14, which will support House Bill 2768. Upholding House Bill 2768 means that voters with stand alone family dental insurance plans will continue to be taxed as insurance premiums. The bill was agreed upon by a bipartisan majority, and voting yes will simply maintain that it has been seen and agreed upon by the people as well.

Ithaca College