Everything you need to know about Iowa City’s newest coffee shop

Step aside, Starbucks

Last week, Iowa City welcomed the newest addition to its family of coffee shops: Cortado. Since its opening, this Italian-style coffee bar and cafe has already become a favorite among coffee lovers. Cortado is particularly loved by those who appreciate fine, exotic coffee that’s “done right.”

This cafe makes so much more than just coffee. Cortado offers a selection of bakery items, including flaky croissants and other tasty pastries. If you’re looking for a heartier meal, grab an item off the breakfast menu to take to class with your morning coffee.

Cortado also offers made-to-order Mediterranean-style sandwiches and salads, available now during the second week of the shop’s opening.

We got the chance to speak with Cortado’s owner, Yochai Harel, who said he brought the cafe to Iowa City after noticing there weren’t any real European coffee shops here. Yochai, who has been working in coffee shops since 2004, explained that Cortado’s style is based off an Italian espresso bar, right down to the sizes and types of the cups they serve their coffee in.

In regard to their bakery items, breakfast menu, sandwiches and salads, Cortado prides itself off of serving foods that are made to order and entirely fresh. “We have a fresher take on everything, you won’t get french fries here,” Yochai told us.

Cortado’s staff served us a fan favorite coffee, a drink bearing the business’ name, “The Cortado.” Yochai described The Cortado as a coffee drink in between a espresso and a cappuccino. The Cortado is made with two shots of espresso, a little less milk than a cappuccino, and a hint of foam. “Think of it as a stronger take on the traditional cappuccino,” Yochai said.

Having great coffee and food is only a perk, as it seems that Cortado is quickly becoming the hottest new coffee shop study spot among students. The cafe has only been open for a week and already grabbing a table is nearly impossible.

If you haven’t already tried Cortado, we highly recommend it! Wake yourself up with The Cortado’s espresso rush and make it to that 8am lecture!

University of Iowa