Georgetown is obviously the inspiration for the new American Hogwarts

The Tombs is basically The Leaky Cauldron

Many members of the Harry Potter  fandom are already aware of a recent, monumental announcement posted via J.K. Rowling’s Pottermore Twitter account, there’s an American version of Hogwarts. We always knew it, really. 

To the pitiful few who are unfamiliar with Harry Potter, let me emphasize that this is a huge deal. Rowling announced the names and details of three other wizarding schools in Brazil, Africa, and Japan, but left us in the dark about Ilvermorny. There is much speculation as to the location of the American magical school, but the growing rumor is it’s at least on the East Coast. But come on, it’s pretty clear Georgetown is the real inspiration. 

AKA Georgetown

Healy Hall for one, (located right inside the main gates of Georgetown) looks exactly like Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry—especially at night. 

When first-year students arrive at Hogwarts, they are immediately sorted into one of the four Hogwarts houses, based on their personalities and dominant characteristics. While Georgetown lacks a house system, the undergraduate university is split up into four separate schools (similarly, based on a student’s strengths and interests): Georgetown College, the McDonough School of Business (MSB), Walsh School of Foreign Service (SFS), and the School of Nursing and Health Studies (NHS). The students in each school share unique interests and a collective personality, and each school perfectly corresponds to one of the Hogwarts Houses

Georgetown College – Gryffindor 

Disclaimer: I’m in this one. Members of Gryffindor are noted for their nerve and daring attitudes, and the students in the College fit this description perfectly as well. Many of us begin life at Georgetown having no idea what we want to major in or ultimately do with our lives, but we put on brave faces and pretend like we have it all figured out anyway.  

McDonough School of  Business—Slytherin

Besides being evil, members of Slytherin are praised for being cunning and resourceful. The students in the MSB frankly terrify me, as they truly know how to get what they want (and they’re very good at math). Their ambition is one of a kind. 

Walsh School of Foreign Service—Ravenclaw

SFS students most definitely bear the most resemblance to the members of Ravenclaw. The most intelligent students at Hogwarts belong in Ravenclaw, and SFS students are (apparently) the smartest of them all at Georgetown as well. 

School of Nursing and Health Studies—Hufflepuff

Last but not least, (just kidding) the NHS, located somewhere in BFE, is undoubtedly synonymous with Hufflepuff. Members of Hufflepuff are esteemed for their loyalty, hard work, and dedication—essentially, they’re very nice. Everyone scoffs at Hufflepuff, but they never waver in their commitment and kindness. NHS students, though the smallest number, have dedicated their time and energy to helping others. 

The uniform

Hogwarts students are required to wear a school uniform, and any newcomer walking around Georgetown would assume we abide by the same rule. It is practically impossible to venture the Georgetown campus without spotting countless students rocking a serious pastel American East Coast version of the Hogwarts uniform. 

Secret passageways

(Hopefully) everyone is familiar with Hogwarts’ Chamber of Secrets, but many people are unaware that Georgetown has its own underground secret. Beneath the university lies an intricate system of “heating maintenance tunnels,” which I am not brave/crazy enough to navigate, but apparently some have tried.

The Tombs is basically the Leaky Cauldron

Many people remain unaware that the Leaky Cauldron, a pub in London and the entrance to Diagon Alley, has a counterpart on 36th Street in Georgetown: The Tombs. No “muggles” are allowed in the Leaky Cauldron; similarly, no minors (under 21) can be found in Tombs late at night.

Until Rowling confirms my theory, I’m sure everyone is sufficiently convinced that Georgetown is basically Ivermorny in waiting. 

Georgetown University