How Hawks do Halloween

‘All of Halloween is scary to me and I don’t like it’

It’s that time of year again – time to apply the makeup, don the costume, eat the candy and the scare the living crap out of whomever you can, all with aplomb and without judgment. Halloween is upon us, and this spooky holiday brings with it tons of both fear and fun.

Are you ready to get on your witches broom and conjure up some fun? Will you stay home alone for horror movies and chill, avoiding the serial killer that always seems to show up without warning? Maybe being a zombie in class has prepared you for the day, or maybe you’re just figuring out some slapdash costume last minute. But we all know you have SOME kind of plan. We wanted to see how Hunter students choose to enjoy Halloween.

Ariel, Junior, Political Science

“I hate the Halloween parade. I usually just go to Union Square, cause there’s a lot of people in costume around there too who are fun to look at. It’s like its own personal parade.”

Jessica, Junior, Political Science

“I have a three step plan for this Halloween. Step 1: Go the Halloween Parade. Step 2: Go home and study for my midterm the next day. Step 3: Take said midterm.”

Janiece, Senior, German

“My favorite thing to do on Halloween is take kids trick or treating. They get candy, and I make sure that I get the chance to take some as well. My favorite candies are Belgian chocolates, I love them.”

Stevie, Sophomore, Undecided

“All of Halloween is scary to me and I don’t like it. It just scares me. I don’t like candy that much and I don’t like going out and dressing up. I don’t want to pretend to be someone I’m not because I don’t like to be fake.”

Erica, Junior, Sociology & Pre-Med

“I’m going up to Binghampton for Halloween and a bunch of my friends are too. We’re all gonna party – a lot. Most of them will probably pass out on frat house floors, but I was smart enough to get a motel room with a few other people. It’s going to be lit.”

Rose, Senior, Political Science

“Halloween is spooky, scary fun and I love it. I like giving candy to trick or treaters. Since I moved to the city I try to go to the parade in the village each year, so hopefully I’ll be doing that again this year.”

Grace, Sophomore, Political Science

“It’s really exciting, Halloween. I really want to go to the Halloween parade this year, it should be a really fun night.”

Mary, Senior, Sociology

“I’m actually working on Halloween this year. I never really liked it that much as a kid; I like it more now but still not that much. Halloween is probably more fun for people who enjoyed it when they were younger. Or people who enjoy drinking a lot, which I don’t.”

The ways to celebrate are just as diverse and interesting as the people who do the celebrating. And can I just say that Hunter is missing out on a great opportunity to create it’s very own HAWKoween celebration? Doesn’t that just sound so catchy? Well, no matter what you call it you better go out there and have fun this weekend!

Hunter College