We asked international students about their lives at Cornell

‘It is not always rosy’

Me: “I am from Ghana”

Classmate: “Where in the US are you from?”

Me: “I am from Ghana”

Classmate: “Wait, like from from Ghana?”

Believe it or not, I’ve had this conversation with quite a number of people despite the fact that international students make up about a fifth of our student body, according to the International Students and Scholars office at Cornell.

That means in one of your classes, it’s likely there is someone who had not lived in or even visited the US until he or she started college. It means every day is an opportunity for us to meet someone from a different culture and experience a firsthand account of lifestyles and values from around the globe.

We found a few of the (many) international students on campus and asked: How would you describe your experience as an international student at Cornell?

Sriya Sunil ’19, Food science, from India

Sriya Sunil (India) enjoying the glowing sun.

Most international students, having lived in another country, look at our stint at Cornell as not only an educational experience but also an opportunity to travel, learn and grow beyond academics. Granted, so does every student here – but there is a difference. Home is a couple of time zones away and this has forced me to be independent in a way I could not have imagined just two years ago.

Dealing with my insurance, visa, I-20 and other issues by myself has given me a greater confidence in my strengths and abilities. Now, I do not call my mum when it is 2am back home in sheer panic about something I forgot to do or do not understand. Okay, maybe I still do but not as much anymore.

Christine Aristide ’18, Human Development, from Haiti

Christine Aristide savoring a coconut on the beautiful beach sands of Haiti.

I am originally from Haiti, but I also lived in South Africa for seven years. I had been to the United States before coming to college, so I thought adjusting to life here would not be hard at all. I did not expect to experience culture shock.

Looking back, I am so happy that I participated in the orientation program for International Students. This is where I met some of my closest friends. I cannot imagine going through this crazy college journey without them. It is so important to me to have people that can relate to my culture.

It is always funny when I tell people where I am from. Most people are surprised when I tell them Haiti. They ask, “Like, you live there?” Yes I do. Some people act ignorant.  I remember a student asking me if everyone evacuated the island when there was a hurricane. However, the majority of students are curious and want to learn more about where I come from.

One of the most valuable experiences at Cornell has been meeting people from all over the world, international students as well as first generation American students, sharing our different experiences and realizing that we actually have more in common than we thought.

Christopher Schott ’18, Government, from Germany

Christopher, in front of elegant architecture at the Marienplatz, the central square in Munich, Germany.

My time at Cornell has been the most amazing experience in my life. Meeting people from a myriad of different backgrounds and pursuing an incredible diversity of studies have been truly enriching. This is something I would not have back home in Germany. What I also would also not have back home is difficulties or even impossibilities in getting Financial Aid or Student Loans just because I am an international student. The awesome life I have here comes at a high cost, yet I still believe it is worth the cost. I am thankful for every moment I spend here.

Michael Lee ’18, School of Hotel Administration, from Singapore

Michael Lee in Singapore.

I would describe my experience as extremely eye-opening and somewhat alienating, but in a good way. Having first hand experience to two very different cultures makes you a lot more appreciative of the nuances between Singapore and the U.S. and empathetic to other people. Overall, Cornell University has given me the opportunity to meet so many different people who have such big dreams to make a world a better place – so much so that it makes me hopeful to see what the future entails for all of us.

Oluwayimika Osunsanya ’19, Architecture, from Nigeria

Oluwayimika Osunsanya in a chic African print skirt back home in Lagos, Nigeria.

Coming to America for university was a decision I made years before I had to apply. I cannot remember what drew me to the country but I knew I wanted to study here. The last two years I have spent here have been the hardest years I have experienced. This hasn’t been just because of my academic work but also the journey of self-discovery I have been on. I am constantly forced to make decisions on my own, to accept who I am and to try not to be someone else. I am so far away from home that I have to be accountable for myself.

At first it was difficult to tell if I really fit in here. Then I realized, as an international student my job was not to fit in but to discover myself in a new context. I am meant to stand out because I am unique. I am learning to push myself and understand the meaning of true friendship away from home.

Ming Khan ’18, Science of Earth Systems, from Bangladesh

Ming in the gorgeous city of Cox’s Bazaar, Bangladesh.

Adding my cultural background to the diverse group of people already in Cornell is an interesting challenge. How do I stand out? Am I standing out too much? What if my culture is not as “rich” as I perceive other cultures to be? I think being an international student and “fresh off the boat” rather than having lived in America for some time prior to my Cornell days actually made it easier to carve out a place for myself. This is because my peers expected my experiences to be different from theirs, and did not try to relate. Rather, they were more interested in learning from me and about me. For me, this was a great feeling as I got to share my heritage on my own terms – something I feel is probably unique to international students. I also learned from other international students about their cultures so as to become as global a citizen as I possibly could.

It is not always rosy though – a lot of opportunities in terms of internships and scholarships specifically require American citizenship, and that can sometimes feel insulting. On the whole though, I would not trade my “third world” upbringing for anything else, because Bangladesh’s tough love has made me a strong person.

Mawuena Ofei ’16, Biology & Society major, from Ghana

For me personally, the best feeling is being able to correct people’s misconceptions (Yes we do have soap in my continent – an article for another day) about my country and continent (Ghana and Africa). It is an enriching experience being here and meeting people of diverse cultures and beliefs.

Get to know somebody from another country, try some authentic chapati from India or Kenya and explore cultures across the globe in your journey of widening your scope of knowledge at Cornell. Who knows? You might become best friends with an international student and get the opportunity to visit a country you never imagined you would.

Cornell