‘Lewisburg Stratfordians’ to put on Shakespeare’s ‘Comedy of Errors’

‘It’s going to be super fun’

It’s pandemonium and hilarity from the moment you walk in. Harvey Powers theater is decked out with colorful string lights and an equally colorful set. The cast members walk about theater, talking and waving to you as you find your seat. And as the house lights dim, the cast gathers on stage to “randomly” pull their roles for the night’s performance out of a hat.

Shakespeare’s Comedy of Errors, opening this Friday, March 31st and playing until April 2nd, is the spring show being put on by Bucknell’s Department of Theater and Dance, under the guise of the “Lewisburg Stratfordians.” Tickets are $10, but are $5 for students and seniors.

The play, with seemingly random, genderless casting, lasts about 90 minutes with no intermission. In the words of one of the cast member’s, Vanessa’s, words, “it’s going to be super fun!”

#comedyoferrors #bucknell #bucknellbackstage #presidentbravman twins with Antipholus of Syracuse.

A post shared by Bucknell Theatre and Dance (@bu_theatre_dance) on Mar 23, 2017 at 2:50pm PDT

Throughout the show, every actor is extremely animated and devoted to their role which makes the plot easy to understand, even for those who don’t speak “Shakesperian.”

In the spirit of Shakesperian comedy, we asked the cast what they thought were the funniest lines in the show. Here’s what they said:

Rodney West, Dromio of Ephesus:

“A man may break a word with you sir and words are but wind, Ay, and break it in your face so he break it not behind.”

Amanda Hunt, Officer:

“Marry, sir, she’s the kitchen wench and all grease; and I know not what use to put her to but to make a lamp of her and run from her by her own light.”

Casey Venema, Antipholus of Syracuse:

“Avaunt thou Witch!”

Have a divine weekend. #theatrejocks #ComedyOfErrors #juno

A post shared by Bucknell Theatre and Dance (@bu_theatre_dance) on Mar 25, 2017 at 7:38am PDT

Tom Murphy, Assistant Director:

“Back, prating peasant.”

Delaney Clark, Antipholus of Ephesus:

“AVAUNT THOU WITCH!” (But only how Casey says it!)

Delaney, leading us head first into tech week with fire.??? #Juno #theatrejocks #ComedyOfErrors

A post shared by Bucknell Theatre and Dance (@bu_theatre_dance) on Mar 28, 2017 at 4:43am PDT

Zoe Davidson, Adriana:

“Most unhappy strumpet!”

Eric Gowat, Luciana:

“Mad mountain of flesh”

Legolas' selfie game. #Lit #ComedyOfErrors #theatrejocks

A post shared by Bucknell Theatre and Dance (@bu_theatre_dance) on Mar 27, 2017 at 3:04pm PDT

Liana Irvine, Assistant Stage Manager:

“Oh, train me not sweet mermaid with thy note!”

Dean Patterson, Angelo:

“As I am a Christian!”

The Facebook event for the show can be found here. Make sure to check out Comedy of Errors this weekend and listen for some of the funniest lines in the show.

Bucknell University