Why New York City is the best place to grow up

‘The city so nice, they named it twice’

When I tell people I grew up in Manhattan, most are either shocked- “Have you ever seen grass before?” -or they give me a pity look. Just because my backyard is actually blocks away in Central Park doesn’t mean I missed out on childhood. No matter what borough you were raised in, city kids would never trade growing up amidst the bustle of the city that never sleeps for anything.

For $2.75, the city is your oyster

With a simple swipe of your MetroCard, you can navigate the entire city on the subway and bus. Want to get from the Upper West Side down to Wall Street in a flash? Hop on the 3 Train, and you’ll speed under 90 blocks to your destination in about 20 minutes. With a system this accessible, how could you not explore all of the rich opportunities NYC has to offer?

You’ll never get tired of the same food

Selecting what kind of food to eat for any meal is always a taxing experience. How can you choose from so many options? Between heavenly Chinese food in Flushing, Queens, to the Greek restaurant down the block, your choices are truly endless.

In need of some nature? Take a stroll in one of NYC’s famous parks

Nestled in between towering buildings and classic brownstones, New York City hosts some beautiful and peaceful parks that are perfect for walking your dog or enjoying a picnic. Is Central Park too mainstream for you? Try heading downtown to Washington Square Park, or exploring the grounds of Brooklyn’s famous Prospect Park. With lush gardens and dazzling fountains, these parks offer a much needed break from the gridlock of the city.

There’s diversity on every corner

In New York City, you are constantly exposed to an exceptionally broad range of people, cultures, values, and beliefs. Every New Yorker is given the chance to explore these differences and find connections among them that bring us closer.

Pandan, Almond Cookie, and Thai Iced Tea are must-try flavors at this NYC staple

Everything is open 24/7

According to Simone de Beauvoir, “There is something in the New York air that makes sleep useless.” Are you in desperate need of a late night Insomnia cookie? Or did your computer crash at 3 AM, the day before your term paper is due? Have no fear- many supermarkets, convenience stores, and even gyms are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This means you’ll never have to wait until the morning to solve a problem.

Nothing beats a midnight pancake run at the nearest diner.

Bored? What’s that?

“Bored” is not a word that exists in a New Yorker’s vocabulary. After all, who could be bored with an abundance of museums, restaurants, performances, coffee shops, parks, and so much more? There is always something to do, regardless of the time of day, season, or weather.

Home is most definitely where the heart is. As Karl Lagerfeld once said, “For me, New York is comfortable, not strange.” I could not agree more.

Bucknell University