Yes, I’m from France, and no, I’m not from Paris

You are going to want to study abroad in Marseille

Welcome to the warm and welcoming South of France. Marseille is not like any other French cities, but a weird mix between France and the Mediterranean area. I was born and raised there, and let me tell you. Marseille is the best city in France.

Vacation vibes and gorgeous surroundings

Are you a die-hard fan of L’Occitane cosmetics? You’ll love Marseille. It’s located in the heart of Provence, where all the lavender, poppy and sunflower scented products come from. You can travel around the region and admire fields of blue, red and yellow all over.

On the outskirts of the city, swim or hike in the national park, Les Calanques, where the deep blue sea contrasts with white rocky mountains. Coves and former fishermen villages are ideal to escape from the city’s buzz. Climb on top of the highest hills and admire the view: the sea horizon on one side, and the glowing city on the other. Also, if you want to try out kayaking or scuba diving, here is your chance.

Calanques

Who doesn’t love wine?

The pride of our Mediterranean legacy resonates in our local cuisine, especially with our local sweet, Navette. It is boat-shaped and made from orange blossom water, a special local ingredient. There is also the Bouillabaisse, a fish soup to enjoy with garlic croutons.

And, finally, maybe the most important thing because it will warm your heart, you almost-alcoholic college student, is the wine. Ah, French wine. The icy fresh wine rosé; the spicy, deeply flavored red; or the fruited white. Bandol, Côtes de Provence… dreamy, right?

Pro tip: pair the Bouillabaisse and cheese with a white wine, not red, like many think.

The nightlife

Marseille is the second largest city in France and has a lot of surprises when it comes to the nightlife. From clubs, bars and rooftops with sea views, to restaurants on the hills surrounding the port, the city offers evening plans for every taste. You may also want to hang out by the beach, in pubs or restaurants or on the shores with a picnic. Take that Paris.

Vieux-Port

Transformation of the century

For years, Marseille was the Detroit of France, torn apart by the mafia and local drug trafficking. It was bad enough that there was even a Snapchat filter that looked like the Grand Theft Auto logo. In 2013, Marseille was elected as the European Capital of Culture. Since then, museums, festivals and colorful events have popped up everywhere.

This year, Marseille is the European Capital of Sports. This January, the city hosted Red Bull’s Crashed Ice event, and will have many more events this year.

Red Bull Crashed Ice in Marseille / Photo by Joerg Mitter Photography

Jokes and rivalries

When people from Marseille travel around France, conversations will usually include this:

“Oh, you’re from Marseille? But why don’t you have an accent?”

Yes, people think you are a classless peasant. With that said, no matter how many times Northerners make fun of us, they still spend their summer vacations at our beaches.

Football

Marseille’s team certainly sucks these days, but l’Olympique de Marseille will always be dear to us. The city’s stadium is brand new and is an interesting shell-shape. To this day, our team is the only French football, I mean soccer, team to ever win the Champions League (take that Paris Saint-Germain).

Stade Orange Vélodrome

Get a little fresh air

Borély, Chambord, Pastré… Marseille has numerous parks where you can bike, play sports and run around. You can take a walk and admire gorgeous rose gardens, fountains, and visit the town’s museums.

Notre-Dame de la Garde

Marseille was founded by the Greeks in 600 B.C., and still has treasures, like the church on the highest hill of the city, Notre-Dame de la Garde. Way back when sailors prayed to Her to come home safely. Now, it’s mostly OM (Olympique de Marseille) fans who pray that the team will make it to the top five of the French championship.

Notre-Dame de la Garde / Photo by Bobby Martinez

What is rain?

Everyone freaks out when it rains- cars are everywhere, heavy traffic. The last time we had any snow was over six or seven years ago, so I’ll let you image how much I suffer living in Boston.

Netflix loves us

Marseille has its own series on Netflix, which started last year and is name after the city. It is basically a French version of “House of Cards,” and is in its second season. For some reason, it’s especially popular in Russia and China.

“Tu tires ou tu pointes?” (are you shooting or pointing?)

One more traditional, and rather cliché, game. La Pétanque is an outdoor game invented in Marseille. It’s mostly played by older people, but younger people enjoy it, too. Players stand in a circle, and the goal is to toss or roll steel balls as close as possible to a small wooden one. It’s bowline, but French-styled!

So, who needs Paris now?

BU Hide Images