25 places you can volunteer post-election

Stand up, fight back

Come January, Donald Trump will be inaugurated as America’s 45th president. During his campaign, he proposed policies that, if enacted, would harm women, people of color, immigrants, the LGBT+ community and even the environment. No one is entirely sure how Trump’s ideals might differ as president, but neither his future vice president nor the potential members of his cabinet suggest a major departure from his campaign rhetoric.

Consequently, many are now vulnerable. Women could lose not only their access to birth control but also their right to abortion. People of color might soon be subjected to yet another administration of “law and order.” Immigrants could be deported. The LGBT+ community might see the Supreme Court’s marriage decision overturned and the passage of anti-trans legislation. The environment will almost certainly suffer.

Fortunately, all is not, necessarily, lost. There are numerous, hardworking nonprofit organizations fighting to protect these people and their Earth. Want to support them, but don’t have money to donate or know where to begin? Here’s a list of 25 nonprofits, either local or with Boston chapters, where you can volunteer, organized by cause:

Environment

Immigrants/Refugees

• City of Boston – leads efforts for immigrant advancement.
  • English for New Bostonians – provides English language learning opportunities for adult immigrants.
  • Enroot – empowers immigrant youth personally, academically, and professionally.
  • KIND – ensures that immigrant and refugee children won’t stand alone in court.

LGBT+

Miscellaneous

People of Color

Women & Girls

BU