Everything freshmen at BU now understand

We’re not totally clueless anymore

Everywhere you turn, there are people spewing advice at incoming college freshmen about how to survive their first year away from home.

And yes, while it is very valuable to know about “Ten Ways to Use Duct Tape in Your Dorm Room,” there are some things cheesy life hacks and inspirational “ An Open Letter To…” articles just can’t teach you.

So, we’ve put together a list of all the things you WILL realize by the end of your freshmen year.

You will have bathroom troubles

Okay, I know it’s gross. I get it. But, it will happen.

As great as our food is here, there will be a time during your first semester where you literally can’t use the bathroom (or you can use it a little too much).

food might become your enemy

Don’t be embarrassed, just take some probiotics and you’ll be good in no time.

Naps are essential

In high school, you were on such a strict schedule that you almost always were allotted time for sleep.

This might not always be the case in college. Between the all-nighters, the parties, and the midnight Star Market runs, sleeping at night might not be an option sometimes.

So, napping whenever and wherever you can will become the norm.

Study lounge? Nap there. GSU? Nap there. Psych lecture? Why not! Nap there. (Just kidding, pay attention in lecture okay.)

goodnight girl

Peer pressure is real AF

College is the only time in your life where going out on Tuesday’s, Wednesday’s and Thursday’s is acceptable.

But, a lot of the time, people still have homework to do.

this was definitely a Thursday and I definitely had a paper due the next day

At that point, a choice arises. Do you stay in and do work, or do you go out with your friends who never seem to have any work at all. (Plot twist: They do.)

me when someone asks me to go out on a tuesday

You must learn to balance work and play, even when you have people telling you that play>work.

Allston kinda sucks

Now listen, I love a sweaty basement as much as the next gal, but there comes a point in every freshman’s party career where they realize that they cannot wait to be 21 and get out of Allston.

Sure, frats are fun and you can go out for approximately $0, but the hype dies down by second semester. Your shoes get dirty, it’s really hot and the girl to guy ratio is always about 10000000:1.

been there, done that

You of course love Allston for what it is, but now understand what upperclassmen mean when they say they never want to go back.

College is way better than high school

First semester, a lot of freshmen are still really homesick. They haven’t yet solidified a group of friends, and feel alone at a HUGE university.

This can leave kids really dependent on their home friends and their family. But once you’ve found your people here, trust me, it’s so lit.

me and my bestie

You can make your own decisions. You get to decide what’s best for you. And, you can study something you love in the greatest city in the world.

So to all you incoming freshmen, don’t worry. You might be nervous but someday you’ll figure it out.

BU