A definitive guide to the best food in Auburn

Quixotes chicken fingers are the stuff of legends

Auburn is known for having great places to eat. Whether it be a fancy restaurant to treat yourself, a cheap place when your low on funds or a place with a lively atmosphere, there is a perfect restaurant for everyone.

The Hound

The Hound is the best place to go for brunch. They have silver dollar pancakes, shrimp & grits, french toast, and most importantly: mimosas. People tend to think that The Hound is pricey (and it is for dinner), but it is actually pretty affordable during brunch. You can also order coffee from Coffee Cat next door and get it brought to your table. This is a great place to have a chill brunch with friends on a Sunday morning or afternoon. And you get to drink out of mason jars – who doesn’t love that?

Toomer’s

A lot of people think that Toomer’s is simply a tourist attraction, but it deserves more credit than that. They have more than lemonade and ice cream, and everything is actually affordable. They have nearly any kind of sandwich you can think of, a killer grilled cheese, the best desserts and so much more. If you aren’t a huge lemonade fan try getting your lemonade with a flavor. Vanilla lemonade is my personal favorite.

Quixotes 

Sometimes you need some chicken fingers to go with your whiskey coke. Quixotes has – by far – the best chicken fingers and fries in town. I recommend grabbing dinner and specials on a Friday night because sometimes going to Quixotes at 5pm is only okay if you’re getting food with your drinks. But they taste good whether you’re drunk or sober – believe me.

Acre

Acre is every hipster’s dream. Their website says:

Our kitchen sources from on-site gardens and orchards, local farms and the bounty provided by the Blackbelt Region. We use these locally sourced ingredients to reinterpret the rich heritage of Alabama Cuisine.

If you’re feeling fancy, this is the restaurant for you – but expect to be spending big bucks. Most people go here to celebrate something. Also, college students like to drag their parents here so they can get a meal other than McDonald’s chicken nuggets.

El Dorado

Every town has their favorite local Mexican restaurant – El Dorado is ours. Everyone likes chips, salsa, queso and margs. And El Dorado is not stingy with their tequila. Be sure that you have a ride home or a designated driver. The most loved dish is definitely the El Dorado Special – order it next time you go, you won’t regret it.

Hamilton’s

Hamilton’s is fancy – but not as fancy as Acre. They have great food, great wine and a wonderful atmosphere. It’s downtown so it’s easy to get to and it right by all of the great shops. It’s a little pricey, but not as bad as Acre, and the food is just as good if not better (depends on what you’re looking for). I recommend the blackened Mahi sandwich.

Little Italy

Little Italy is the restaurant that will never let you down. It’s great when you’re drunk at 2am and it’s great at noon when you need food after class. Had a rough day? Grab a pitcher. Their pizza is fresh, huge, delicious, and everything you could ever dream of. And it pairs nicely with beer. And if pizza isn’t your thing, they have salads and other options as well. This is a place that is welcoming to everyone.

Honorable mentions: Live Oaks, Niffer’s, Moe’s BBQ, Arigato, Burger Fi, Draft House, Chicken Salad Chick, Momma Goldberg’s

Auburn University