The unwritten rules of being an Auburn student

Dear freshmen, don’t mess this up

For those of us who have been living on the plains, we already know the ins and outs of Auburn. But for those who are new here, or if you need a reminder, here are some of Auburn’s unwritten rules I wish I had known from the beginning.

Say thank you to the transit and drunk bus drivers

Yes, this is a real name. Also, look out for the blueberry bubblegum security shuttle driver.

The transit and shuttle drivers are some of the best people in Auburn. They save us from drunk drivers (or drunk driving ourselves) and they are always friendly, even when students aren’t.

Don’t talk on the phone while you’re on the transit

We don’t want to hear your drama. It’s annoying and everyone will hate you.

Don’t make ANY noise on the fourth floor of RBD

There is no coughing, sneezing, opening food, zipping backpacks, or anything allowed. You know what, just to be safe, I wouldn’t breathe either. That would be making too much noise.

Don’t wear a lanyard

This is the #1 way to spot a freshman. If you’re afraid you’ll lose your ID, grab a phone wallet to stick on your phone. You can find a ton of them on the concourse during welcome week.

Don’t switch seats after the first week of class

It makes everything confusing and annoying.

When someone says ‘War Eagle,’ say it back

Always.

Don’t get margs at El Dorado and expect to be sober enough to drive

They are incredibly strong. Make sure you have a DD so you can get home safely.

Don’t try to go to Skybar as a freshman

You will more than likely embarrass yourself. Besides, Quixotes, 17-16 and Bourbon are so much fun. If you want to have a wild night, go to Quixotes. If you just want to hang out, go to Bourbon. If you like a little bit of both and some great outdoor music and dancing, go to 17-16. Also check to see where Common Creation is DJ’ing – he’s the best.

Take advantage of free events on campus

Painting on the Plains organized by UPC

In college, you’ll be broke. You won’t realize it at first, but when you do, it hits hard. There is at least one free event going on every day. UPC, SGA, AUDM and many other organizations work hard to put on events for students. AND they almost always have free food.

Take a picture with Aubie every chance you get

Because he is the best mascot in the world. No really – he is a nine-time UCA Mascot National Champion.

Only avoid the concourse if you hate free stuff

People always say “avoid the concourse at all costs,” but if you know how to navigate it, you will reap the rewards. You can find free food, notebooks, phone wallets, buttons, t-shirts and more. The only times I would recommend completely avoiding it is during campaign weeks. Taking flyers for organizations isn’t going to kill you. Plus you will find out about some really cool events.

You stand on the bleachers in front of you during football games, NOT the one you are sitting on

Make sure to get to the game early and hydrated. Don’t feel like you have to dress up for the games. It will usually be miserably hot so please don’t suffer in boots.

Get involved on campus

Research the organizations on campus and find one that fits your interests. You can serve the students in UPC, fundraise in AUDM, or eat in The Pizza Club. With 492 organizations, there’s something for everyone. Also, joining a sorority or fraternity is NOT necessary to make friends.

An Auburn jersey is appropriate attire for any occasion

Wear it to the games. Wear it to the bars. Wear it to parties. Wear it to class. Wear it during finals for good luck. Sleep in it.

GO TO SPECIALS

First of all, don’t buy Blue Motherfuckers all night unless you want to blow all your money. Find a cheap drink you like and can order during specials. A lot of people don’t like going to specials because they start super early, but believe me, it’s worth it.

Check the Auburn Pulse app before you go out to see how much wells are at all the bars. Go to all the bars and get wristbands and stamps before they start charging cover. Get drinks while they are cheap, then go hang out with friends until you all want to go out for the night. Go to specials. Your bank account will thank you.

Be careful with hunch punch

Usually, hunch punch has a lot more alcohol in it than you think. Also, getting roofied is not just in the movies. Don’t leave your drink anywhere. If someone is getting you a drink at a party, make sure the hosts are drinking the same thing. They could have a certain drink cooler that is drugged. Go with your gut feeling, if something seems sketchy, don’t drink it.

Make sure you have a rain jacket and umbrella

Don’t get caught in the rain without them. Especially when your class is across campus. It sucks.

Little Italy is the cheapest, best-tasting pizza in town

Don’t spend all your money on Pieology or Mellow Mushroom. Little Italy is the best pizza by far. And it’s almost always open.

Have fun

Because this will be the best four years of your life.

Auburn University