Anti-police brutality protest planned tonight

‘How do you spell guilty? N-H-P-D’

At 6pm tonight, residents of New Haven and Yale students will gather on the Green to protest police brutality in response to recent police shootings in Tulsa and Charlotte.

Sophomore Mojique Tyler is one of the four organizers who created the event on Facebook. He’s also been active at the weekly “Change the Name” demonstrations outside of Calhoun College every Friday and involved with other social justice groups such as New Haven Workers Association.

Organizers have posted chants for the rally on Facebook, describing them as “the theme song to the revolution.” The set includes familiar phrases from police brutality protests and #BlackLivesMatter demonstrations such as “No justice, no peace, no racist police” and “Hands up, don’t shoot”, as well as ones specific to New Haven: “Racist, sexist, anti-gay NHPD go away” and “How do you spell guilty? N-H-P-D.”

The Facebook event asks residents and students to “join us we stand in solidarity and demonstrate against a system which has our people angry, in fear and mourning.”

Yale University