Rest in peace: Handsome Dan XVII dies

His real name was Sherman

Handsome Dan XVII died Thursday at the age of nine.

The English bulldog had served as the 17th live mascot of Yale since being appointed in 2007, making appearances at sports games, charity events, and graduation ceremonies.

He had a starring role in the Class Day video this past May, and had met two former U.S. presidents: George H.W. Bush and Jimmy Carter.

His caretaker and Yale alumni Chris Getman told Yale Athletics the dog had suffered from seizures earlier in the summer, but was thought to be doing well.

The cause of death is thought to be a heart attack, a common issue among English bulldogs who tend to live between eight and 10 years.

“He loved his job, was very enthusiastic and brought joy to a lot of people,” Getman said.

In addition to his mascot duties, Handsome Dan was also the Chairman of the Board of Canine Advisors for the Center for Canine Behavior Studies. The center released the following statement:

By all accounts he was an exemplary mascot for Yale and no doubt earned his well deserved place on the Yale roster of the immortal Handsome Dans. That he passed so quickly is a blessing although no doubt it leaves a gaping hole in the hearts of everyone whom he entertained, helped and loved. For the Center for Canine Behavior Studies, Sherman represented the best; not just as a much loved dog and mascot, but as a symbol of a great university and Connecticut. Undoubtedly, Sherman never let any of his achievements and accolades go to his head as he went through his daily routine giving joy and support to everyone with whom he came in touch. I doubt that there are many canines across America who achieved as much in such a short time. From the board room to the parade ground as midshipman Captain in the Yale NROTC to the athletic fields of Yale, Sherman did his duty, served as best he could and was loyal to the end. He will be missed.

News of the dog’s death spread on social media Saturday morning with Yale students and pets sharing memories and well wishes.

Yale Athletics has not announced a plan to find the next Handsome Dan to represent Yale. The department has a little more than a month before a replacement will be expected on the sideline for the first football game of the season on September 17.

Yale University