Support Schuyler Arakawa: Help the Yalie in critical condition after rafting accident

So far the GoFundMe has raised over $125,000

This past weekend the Yale community suffered a tragic blow.

Two days ago, recent-graduate Schuyler Arakawa ’15  was involved in a freak accident while on a river rafting expedition in Colombia that has left her in critical condition and fighting for her life. While swimming beside the boat, a boulder fell from thirty feet above and hit Schuyler directly on her head that resulted in a slew of potentially fatal injuries including a fracture to her skull and face, lung damage, and five fractured vertebrae in her spine.

Miraculously, Schuyler’s friends were able to rush to her aid and transport her to the nearest hospital where she underwent multiple surgeries and now is stable, being monitored full time in the Intensive Care Unit of a hospital in  San Gil, Columbia.

For those who do not know, Schuyler was a radiant member of the Yale community who whose passion was helping others. The very reason for Schuyler’s presence in South America that fateful day was her fellowship in Peru where she was building houses and teaching children in poverty-stricken villages.

Now it is our time to help Schuyler.

As her health begins to stabilize, her family hopes to transport Schuyler back to the United States for further treatment. Please consider donating to her GoFundMe which will help pay for this process and cover her enormous other medical expenses. As we in the Yale community faces midterms, please keep Schuyler in your thoughts and prayers as she is battling something more than we all are combined.

To donate to Schulyer’s GoFundMe, click here.

Yale University national-us