How much is it really costing you to skip class?

Each lecture is worth 12,205 gin and tonics…

It’s no secret that college, especially Yale, is damn expensive. But come on, no one is perfect and sometimes you just can’t with lecture.

Whether you Woadsed too hard the night before, you forgot to set an alarm, or your morning practice wiped you out for the rest of the day, everyone has skipped class at one point or another. So we’re not here to judge you (I’ve been known to sleep through the occasional Intro Micro lecture), we’re just here to let you know how much those hooky sessions are costing you.

For the 2015-2016 school year, the total cost of attending Yale is $65, 725. That includes $14,600 for room and board, and $3,525 for “books and personal expenses” (questionable as to where that money goes, because I explicitly remember spending $300 on textbooks this semester). So that leaves $47,600 for tuition.

I’ll assume the average Yale student takes about 10 credits in a school year, which brings our grand total to $4,760/course. Because we have a stupid amount of breaks, there will be around 13 weeks of class this semester (not including reading period/finals week). After doing a bunch of math, we’ve worked out it’s around $122.05 per class.

So every time you sleep through lecture, you’re taking a $122.05 nap. That might be a lot to wrap your head around, so let’s put this in Yale terms…

That’s 24.41 nights at Toad’s…

These chicks are so ready.

12,205 gin and tonics at Penny drinks…

0.16 Canada Goose jackets…

Which means you’re 16% closer to being featured on this extremely relevant page.

6.10 replaced Yale ID’s if you’re like me and lost two before the second semester of freshman year…

48.82 cups of coffee from Bluestate…

That’s almost three whole days of finals week!

Or, most importantly, 32.55 bacon, egg and cheeses from Gheav/22.94 quesadillas from Salsa Fresca (if that’s more your style)

Moral of the story: go to class, kids.

Yale University national-us