Yalies tell us what The Game means to them

‘We just want to fucking beat Harvard’

For some students, this Saturday’s football game is the first time they’ll see Harvard and Yale face off. For others – namely the seniors – The Game is a tradition and holds a much bigger meaning.

So The Tab asked Yalies what The Game means to them.

Joe English, YCC President

The Game isn’t just about football or showing Harvard how much more fun and hospitable we are. It’s about this community’s immense love for Yale – the people, the traditions, the university itself. It’s an occasion for Yalies to unabashedly share and enjoy that love together as a community.

Hannah LaBovick, SY ’18

It means the Yale community coming together to cheer for a sport we know we’re not great at, but still coming together because we love hating on Harvard. Also, the Saybrook Strip!

A freshman who asked not to be named

“What game?”

Andrew Torano, CC ’16

It means a chance to really feel a collective school spirit on campus, something you rarely experience around here. As well as a chance for all of Yale to come together for a common, non-political – we just want to fucking beat Harvard.

Chelsea Guo, TD ’18

To me, The Game is one of the few events that bring all of Yale together as a community in cheering on our football team and having a unified hatred for Harvard. It strengthens our identities as Yalies, uniting people from all of the different communities on campus.

Stephanie Rodgers, SY ’17

The Game is the quintessential experience where Yale students finally get to show their school spirit on a united front. It’s something that ties us together. Even after horrible losses, we are bonded by the insanity of the tailgates’ extremely long bathroom lines. We find strength in braving the cold. We created football and our energy never disappoints.

Yale University