UW-Madison man arrested for assault and attempted abductions is a federal sex offender

He tried to stuff a student in the trunk and cut her throat

On Tuesday night, UW-Madison police arrested Coleman Chung, a 30-year-old man, for two attempted abductions that occurred on or near campus between the end of September and now.

According to the Wisconsin State Journal, he is a registered sex offender, serving probation for child pornography charges.

A petition filed in federal court says Chung, a Monona resident, was arrested for attempting to kidnap two UW-Madison students on separate occasions. The first victim escaped unharmed, but the second was seriously injured.

On the night of October 2nd, around 1am the second attempted abduction occurred near Ingraham Hall, which the victim was walking by on her way home from College Library.

The petition from federal court states Chung tried to bind the victim’s wrists and cover the victim's mouth with duct tape. While he was attempting to put the woman in the trunk of his vehicle, he allegedly cut the victim’s throat with a knife, requiring stitches. He also reportedly used a hatchet to strike the victim in the face and neck several times.

Chung was previously arrested in 2015 and sentenced to five years of probation for possessing over 1,000 images of child pornography. He is listed on the national sex offender registery.

People who believe they may have been a victim of a crime involving Chung should call call UWPD at (608) 264-2677 or Madison Area Crime Stoppers at (608) 266-6014.

University of Wisconsin