Having a feminist commercial in the Super Bowl was the best jab at the patriarchy ever

tips

babe  • 

Audi won the Super Bowl

The Audi commercial “Daughters” found the perfect platform to shove the patriarchy into it’s place and reminded every single beer-drinking, football loving, manly-man that their current or future daughters will face the consequences of the patriarchy.

The Super Bowl: Mom’s in the kitchen, dad’s drinking a beer.  Mom’s cooking and serving food, Dad’s screaming at the television. Mom’s working her ass off often with little recognition, while dads reinforcing his masculinity.

The Super Bowl is the perfect example of the American patriarchy, even the most progressive of families often revert back to societal norms in preparation for game day. During the game itself we see an all male coaching staff, and announcing crew. One of the only times we see a woman is during the half-time show, and Lady Gaga was warned she is not allowed to make any political statements, specifically against Trump (who has definitely not been a leading man in ensuring gender equality).

And Audi just gave the patriarchal system a giant middle finger.

With the majority of men, women and children glued to the TV, Audi had a captive audience and used there million dollar commercial spot to do a little good.

• The script reads, “Do I tell her that her grandpa is worth more than her grandma, that her dad is worth more than her mom? Do I tell her that despite her education or drive or skill or intelligence she will automatically be valued as less than any man she ever meets? Or maybe I’ll be able to tell her something different.”

If every single person watching this commercial makes an effort to shut down the very system the Super Bowl supports, women in America might actually start to see a little equality.

If every dad, brother, husband, and son makes a conscious effort to only support policies, companies and government leaders that will ensure equality for their daughters, sisters, and mothers maybe future generations will be able to tell their daughters something different.

Do like Audi did and attack the patriarchy on it’s own turf.

Call your legislators, donate to The Equal Payback Project, engage in conversations with people who don’t believe equal pay is a problem, and divest from companies who don’t pay men and women equally. If men and women of every race, ethnicity, and sexuality work together we can make a difference.

@TheTab