UW-Madison students protest the potential of an alt right group on campus

‘Racist, sexist, anti-gay, AFP go away!’

University of Wisconsin-Madison students protested David Dropik’s attempt to form an alt-right group on campus.

Students gathered at library mall to protest white supremacy, and discrimination. Speeches were heard from multiple campus organizations and community members.

The march began at Library Mall, and ended with protestors marching to Chancellor Rebecca Blank’s office, demanding she take action against the alt-right group.

UW-Madison student and Student Coalition for Progress member, Kat Kerwin explained allowing an alt-right group would set a negative precedent, and make people of color feel as though the student body is not an ally.

“White Nationalism is a real thing, and it’s everywhere, and if we aren’t acting proactivily to shut it down at the root, we will be making a big mistake,” Kerwin said.

Another Madison resident, Ben Klug urged people to continue educating themselves and their peers about the reality of alt right groups being fascist groups in disguise.

“I feel very strongly that we have to show up, we have to aggressively inform people, because I really want to believe that an informed America would reject fascism.”

University of Wisconsin