UW-Madison urges students affected by Trump’s executive order to stay in the country

72 UW-Madison students could be affected by Trump’s executive order

130 University of Wisconsin system students are urged not to leave the country, because of Trump’s executive order barring the entry of people from seven predominately muslim countries.

According to the Wisconsin State Journal, the students and faculty who could be affected were emailed and advised to stay inside the country. 72 of these are UW-Madison students and 16 are faculty members.

According to campus officials, there is currently a UW-madison student outside the country who could be affected by the order, but his or her nationality is not being released.

Chancellor Rebecca Blank issued a statement calling for the reconsideration of the new order.

“These actions affect real people – researchers, scholars, students, and staff – who are essential to our goals of providing a world-class education.” Blank said. “We call on our leaders to search for a balanced approach that does not weaken our higher education system, the competitiveness of our economy and core principles of our democracy.”

Blank assured the public that UW-Madison will not provide information on the immigration status of students or staff.

Trump’s order bans people from Iraq, Iran, Syria, Yemen, Sudan, Somalia, and Libya from entering the United States for 90 days.

Anyone who is concerned may visit the Multicultural Student Center to talk with staff or contact International Student Services.

University of Wisconsin