How to be an independent woman in a dependent world

It’s pretty badass

After listening to “Independent Women” by Destiny’s Child on repeat for a couple car rides. I’ve determined just how badass it is to be financially and morally responsible for yourself. Sure, I can’t buy a house or diamonds quite yet to rub in my significant other’s face, but I can be more than a weak, “broke college student” who only eats Ramen. Thus, I’ve determined a list of necessities to check off to become a bad bitch that needs no man:

Deal with problems, not your parents

In November, I totaled the trusty 2005 Chevy Malibu my parents had taught me to drive in. Before you start to worry about my driving ability, the cause was an abnormally large coyote who decided to end it’s life that morning. Don’t get me wrong, I called my dad sobbing. No, the situation wasn’t ideal, but there was something really powerful about being able to speak to my parents on an adult level about how to deal with the problem. While parents will always be a phone call away, Mommy won’t be able to call you in when you’re sick from work. Dad won’t be able to take a final you forgot to study for. They’ve gotten me this far, it was time I showed my parents just how independent they’ve raised me to be.

img_3991

Actually own some sort of asset

I was a car-less commuter with an apartment I paid for but didn’t live in and a savings account that was slowly straining. Pieces fell into place and my apartment was picked up by a sublet. You’d think I was escaping a burning building with how fast I got out of there. My security deposit reimbursement was put directly to a brand new 2016 Honda Civic. At 19, I officially own a car. I have a sweet (and pretty) asset  I can call mine!

img_4008

Start paying some bills

I’ve paid a hefty sum of money for a tiny apartment in downtown Madison. Somehow, groceries still made their way to their cupboard, makeup was purchased (much too often, may I add), and gas was always in my gas tank. I pay for my phone (well, part of it). I make payments on student loans so I’m not a million dollars in debt once I reach my first career. Now, I pay for a brand-new car every month. Truly, I think paying your own expenses prepares you for life after college – bomb credit score, anyone? – but, it also makes you look like a total badass to anyone looking in.

See the makeup was necessary

Know the value of a dollar and act on it

I have been serving for the better part of two years. Somehow, after dealing with crabby people and long days, I’ve been able to learn the exact value of a dollar. Getting paid less than three dollars an hour makes you rethink you’re spending habits. Any time  you are making good money, you’re working your ass off to do so. Do I really need a $50 shirt when I have a phone payment coming up? Do I really need these super cute jeans when I don’t get paid for a week? I’ve determined the type of financial security I need, and broke college kid doesn’t fit in that mold.

Educate yourself

I truly believe there is nothing more powerful than an educated woman. Going for a couple degrees at one of the best public universities in the country has taught me so much about education. I’m tired of living in a society where women aren’t as praised as men and the first thing I can do to stop that is never letting myself be ignorant.

Get the hell out of here

I never had the dream to travel the world and be scary spontaneous in my early twenties like my friends did. Rather, I wanted to get stuff done now so I can move past the walls of a university faster. I was so wrong. My boyfriend and I did our first trip by ourselves this year. We bought plane tickets and flew across the country just to see how different life was. Take it from someone who is way to frugal for her own good, traveling is worth every single penny. Let’s be real, women with a ton of worldly experiences are so intimidating and badass.

img_2357

So, yet again, my life has become centered around the question: “What would Beyonce do?” Queen Bey is not okay with all the women who believe their world is turning because of someone else. Love is an amazing part of life, but only lasts if you’re in love with yourself too. Women have every opportunity to be successful; we just have to believe it’s within us. There’s nothing more intimidating than being a bad bitch who doesn’t need anyone. Don’t get me wrong, relationships with the right people will help you go far. However, make sure those relationships are enhancing your ability to be successful, confident, and independent. So, all the women who are independent, throw your hands up at me!

University of Wisconsin