Why I wish I was a science major, not a liberal arts major

Because science is really the only option

I wish I could be a science major with all of my heart.

I have always wondered what it’s like to hate my major.  Since my area of study is so easy to bullshit, I really don’t know how hard others have to work to get the same diploma from the same university.  From the amount of complaining and sleepless nights I have seen science majors pull, I feel like I’m missing the ‘no pain, no gain’ aspect my major should have.

I want to know what it’s like to fight for attention and the top grade in my classes.  Nothing would make me strive to do better than the savage beat-down of my peers in an academic setting.  The word ‘curve’ takes on a new meaning when in the sciences, and I crave to beat it, to obsess over it, to tattoo the bell curve on my body as a constant reminder that I must crush everyone in sight.

What is it like to have a professor more concerned with their own research than with teaching their students?  I have yet to have a professor who won’t drop their work to facilitate my studies, and I hate it.  It’s hard to get a meeting in between lecturing, researching, and running your own lab.  Not to mention a coveted spot in a research lab to fulfill major requirements.  I don’t know what it’s like to compete like this for attention and opportunities, but I wish I did.

As a science major, you will get all of the great jobs.  The highest paying, the fastest growing, and the most competitive.  Especially if applying to medical school, having a science degree over a liberal arts degree shows just how much you’ll be like every other M.D. in the workforce.  Take pride in uniformity.

I didn’t realize my only job option was barista, but many science majors have convinced me otherwise.  If all I need to learn is your drink order, then why am I spending thousands on my degree?  It just doesn’t make sense.  Either I’ll switch to science or drop out, because anything is better than sticking with this pointless degree.

If I only I could do it all again, I would surely become a science major.  I want to be miserable, I want to be ignored, I want to be a science major.

University of Wisconsin