Today in white men deciding what’s best for women: GOP will defund Planned Parenthood

Another day, another disappointment

The GOP has been trying for years to defund Planned Parenthood, and with a Republican House, Senate and Presidency they just might get what they want.

Paul Ryan, Speaker of the House, announced today that Republicans plan to strip Planned Parenthood of all federal funding.

According to CNN, this desire is largely because Planned Parenthood funds abortions.

Which is actually highly inaccurate, and misleading, because under the “Hyde Amendment” federal money is not allowed to go towards abortion services unless there are extenuating circumstances such as rape or the health of the mother.

So basically Republicans’ reasoning for why they are defunding Planned Parenthood is just a front allowing them to cut funding to all of the other amazing services Planned Parenthood offers such as birth control and breast exams.

This is another prime example of a group of white men deciding what’s best for women.

Paul Ryan, I expected more from you, because you are not only a husband, but also a father. What if your daughter didn’t grow up in an affluent home where she has access to health care?

What if she needed services like Planned Parenthood to get her birth control or even an annual breast exam? Would you feel differently about what you are doing if it was your daughter was directly affected?

I urge you and all of the Republicans making this decision to treat the women of America as your daughters, because God knows if you can’t think of women in relation to your own being you won’t think of them at all.

If you would like to get involved, and fight for the cause you should contact your local legislators here, or donate to Planned Parenthood here

University of Wisconsin Hide Images