2016 sucked, but at least the music was good

This year killed it in music, and we couldn’t be more appreciative

2016 wasn’t exactly the best year for most of us. I’m not speaking for everyone, because I am sure this year was exceptional for a few! But for the rest of us, we cannot wait for 2016 to be over. It was a physically and mentally draining 365 days, and some of us are at our breaking point.

Do you know who was here for us this year and never failed to let us down? 2016’s music. Hit after hit, album after album, 2016 did not disappoint. From Beyonce’s Lemonade to Childish Gambino’s Awaken My Love!, this year’s artists delivered, especially when we needed it most.

There were so many great albums that came out this year and I know I won’t be able to give credit to them all.  Let’s look and see what albums got the most hype and did incredibly well.

Anti by Rhianna

Rihanna started off 2016 right away with a bang and blessed us with her album Anti. Even though this released at the beginning of the year, I still find myself putting this album on repeat, listening to her erotic and soothing voice. From her radio hit ‘Work’ to her love ballads like ‘Love on the Brain’, this album lets everyone channel their inner bad bitch and proves why Rihanna is the fiercest.

The Life of Pablo by Kayne West

Without a doubt, one of the biggest albums of 2016 was Kanye West’s The Life of Pablo. The whole fiasco with Kim Kardashian and Taylor Swift from the song ‘Famous’ to Teyana Taylor’s amazing body and dance moves in his music video ‘Fade’, this album had people constantly talking at all times. Although millions of people loved this album and Kanye, no one will be able to love Kanye as much as Kanye loves Kanye.

Lemonade by Beyoncé

All bow down to Queen B. Her album Lemonade will go down in history. No one would ever be able to forget how Beyoncé completely just tore Jay-Z apart in each song. It’s the ultimate break-up album, and truly empowers women all over the world.  Keep slaying, queen.

Coloring Book by Chance the Rapper

Chance the Rapper’s album Coloring Book is probably my favorite one on this list. His optimistic views and the messages he delivers on each track is what makes his fans love this album. What also makes this album unique from the others is it’s free. He believes his music shouldn’t be purchased and it should be free for the people who want to listen. Lil Chano from the 79th is truly a trailblazer of our time.

Blond by Frank Ocean

With Frank Ocean not making an album for a few years, his album Blond was perhaps the most anticipated album on this list, and it didn’t let us down. He has a new vibe to this album, but it definitely wasn’t a bad thing. You still get goosebumps listening to his angelic voice, and his song ‘Solo’ all have us feeling some type of way.

Awaken, My Love! by Childish Gambino

We all know Childish Gambino is a mad talented rapper, but in Awaken, My Love!, Gambino surprised us all by barely showing that talent. This album showed off some of his new talents and how diverse Gambino can truly be in music. He provided us with a more soulful and funky side to him, and he really showed off how he can hit those high notes. People have complained and haven’t quiet gotten over how this isn’t his typical rap album, but I think it really tells us how gifted a musician Donald Glover really is.

4 Your Eyez Only by J. Cole

Another highly anticipated album, J. Cole’s 4 Your Eyez Only did not disappoint in the slightest. His remake on beats like in ‘Deja Vu’ to his impactful songs like ‘Change’, this album tells a story. J. Cole was able to set the bar even higher from his last album Forest Hills Drive.

Stoney by Post Malone

Post Malone might be the underdog on this list, but that just made his album Stoney so much more impressive. He created an album you can just stay at home and relax to, or go out and get drunk to. With his hit song ‘White Iverson’ to my favorite song on the album, ‘Up There’, Malone really aced these tracks, giving it a certain type of feel.  This really set the standard very high for his next album.

So even though 2016 sucked majorly, we salute and commend your music. You were there when we needed you, so I guess it’s true what they say, not all heroes wear capes.

University of Wisconsin