Is it true that blondes have more fun?

I went from a brunette to a blonde, and I’ve received more attention because of it

During this past summer, I decided to take a risk and get rid of my dark brown hair in exchange for a golden blonde. With the amount of selfies I’ve taken since then, it’s safe to say I love my new look. Being blonde suits me better and, as my cousin told me, it fits my personality more than the brunette did.

I feel more like myself and my confidence has gone up, but maybe it’s not just the hair. Maybe it’s from the attention which came with it too.

I’ve been a brunette all my life.  OK, maybe not all my life.  I did have the occasional phases where I wanted to be a redhead, or the time I cut my hair short and ended up looking like Lord Farquaad from Shrek.

Growing up, I always noticed my friends who were blonde would get more attention. When we would walk down the street, they would always get the polite smiles and the double-take glances.

It never occurred to me their hair color was getting them attention, until I went blonde myself.

I had no clue hair color had so much power.  The positive feedback and compliments since my change have been astonishing. At first, I thought it was normal.  The reactions were mostly from friends and family, since seeing someone with dark hair go 180 would be a huge difference. These reactions, however, kept going months later from strangers.

It was nice at first.  I’ve never been the girl who would get the double-take glances when I was in a group, and now I was that girl. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t appreciate it, because I kind of loved it.

But now, I don’t know how I feel.

Am I really getting this attention because of my hair color? What was wrong with being a brunette? There are millions of gorgeous women with dark hair, and are they really being overlooked for not being blonde?

I’ve asked myself these questions over and over again.  I keep thinking I might have missed opportunities because I was brunette for so long.

Then it hit me. Why the hell should hair color matter this much to me?

I have fun no matter what my hair color

So what if I may have missed an opportunity because I wasn’t the idealized beach blonde babe. I didn’t dye my hair for that reason anyway. Nor did I dye my hair in hopes of getting more attention. I dyed my hair because I wanted to and, to put it bluntly, I was bored.  I wanted something different.

Dye your hair or don’t dye your hair, just do whatever makes you feel the most like yourself.  Your happiness is what matters at the end of the day. And for all of you who are wondering, brunettes have just as much fun as blondes.

University of Wisconsin