UW Madison hosts ‘safe space’ after controversial costume display

How we should deal with the outrage caused by this racist display

Last Saturday at Camp Randall Stadium, a fan attended the game wearing a prison jumpsuit and an Obama mask with a noose tied around its neck. This costume immediately sparked controversy, and UW guest services asked the fan to remove the noose from the costume, but did not force the fan to leave the stadium.

Once the noose was removed from the costume, the decision was made that the remainder of the costume was within UW’s costume guidelines. Some may choose to respect this decision on behalf of the student’s right to freedom of speech and freedom of expression. UW released a statement on behalf of this, stating, “The costume, while repugnant and COUNTER TO THE VALUES OF THE UNIVERSITY AND ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT, was an exercise of the individual’s right to free speech.” While some may approve of the costume on the basis of the protection of free speech, most UW students support a “zero-tolerance policy” for racism on campus, and are extremely offended by what took place.

Since the incident, Blank has apologized on behalf of the university for a weak management of the severely offensive display, and UW has revoked the season tickets of two groups of fans who were involved in the costume. However, there continues to be outrage surrounding the event, and many people are still disturbed by the extremely racist costume.

In response to the outrage, UW-Madison is hosting a “safe space” for those who are upset over the controversial costume. The “safe space” will be hosted for graduate students who are disturbed by the incident. The university hopes by providing this space, students can have a chance to vent, relax, and feel comfortable talking about their responses to the event. The assistant dean of diversity LaRuth McAfee adds, “It pains me to be sending out yet another email advertising a safe space…because, in theory, students should feel safe in any space on this campus.”

Blank was right in apologizing for UW’s mistreatment of the event. The costume was extremely offensive, visually upsetting, and praised the history of racism and lynching in this country. UW students have a right to be outraged, and it is no doubt that many are upset about the incident. It is apparent that the university should and will handle these racist events with more seriousness and disciplinary action. Creating a “safe space” for those emotionally impacted to talk about their feelings will be comforting and beneficial to some students, and is a small step in the right direction towards the sharing and accepting of diversity within the UW community.

On the other hand, the outrage to this event should not be limited to a safe space. Giving students a two-hour time period to discuss their reactions can help, but it only starts the conversations that are necessary to fight racism. Students should feel comfortable to vent about this, tweet about this, and talk about this to one another, no matter where they are. To truly defeat racism on campus, we must have the strength to speak about it openly.

If we can address our reactions head on, we have the power to change the prevailing social norms. Feeling shocked and hurt by extremely racist events doesn’t help change the nature of racial relations if it is confined within a “safe space.” Instead, we should have the ability to talk openly about these events so we can share the impact it has and assert that we won’t accept this kind of behavior. Above all, we should always support one another and reject hateful speech no matter where we are.

University of Wisconsin