A playlist for getting over someone

Replace the sad songs you always listen to with these empowering ones

All of us have had our hearts broken. And we all know it sucks. You’re probably unsure on how to cope – do you act like you don’t care? Do you spend all your free time in bed with a pint of Ben & Jerry’s watching the saddest movies you know? Do you instantly move on to other people to cover up the fact you’re hurting deep down inside?

Whatever your situation – music always helps. I know I have a problem with listening to sad music when I’m down, only furthering those feels. So, here is a playlist to empower you, rather, and make you get over that ex-lover quicker.

Love Myself – Hailee Steinfeld

This one’s an obvious. If you haven’t thought of it yet, you’re lagging. It is the ultimate jam to remind yourself to just do you. Hailee may have also hinted at the fact she isn’t only singing about loving herself emotionally… which would make sense. I’m gonna put my body first too, Hails.

Me, Myself, & I – G-Eazy

It may lead towards being single for life but at least if you listen to this enough you’ll realize you really are okay alone and can probably handle being alone for as long as you need to. The chorus is really all that matters for this playlist but it’s a good song regardless.

Comeback Kid – The Band Perry

Get knocked down, get up again (in the words of Chumbawamba – which is another song you should definitely listen to cause who doesn’t know all the words to it). The situation you’re in is just a bend in the road, but it’ll straighten out soon enough. It may suck, but you can handle whatever life hands you.

Defying Gravity – Wicked

I know what you’re thinking… why would I add a song from a musical to my playlist? Well, it’s easy. This song sends such a powerful message about being happy and being able to do whatever you set your mind to. Also Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel are babes.

A Little Too Much – Shawn Mendes

Biggest picture here: Fake it ’til you make it. Life can come crashing down on you, and “sometimes it all gets a little too much” but you can’t let it stop you. There are so many reasons to move forward, and stay positive. I promise, you’ll be okay in the end, no matter how hard the journey is.

Cheer Up Charlie – Leslie Odom Jr.

This song is relaxed and calmingĀ and is a good break from the typical pop songs. It’s all about keeping your chin up and striving. Don’t give up, because you can make it. Also Leslie Odom Jr. has a beautiful voice so this is an impossible one to pass up.

My Way – Calvin Harris

I wanted to stay away from songs that bash on the ex, but this one is enough of a banger it’ll keep you in a positive mood. Your past is behind you, so keep it there. Get off your bed, and dance to this song while you get over your ex at the same time. Double win!

Feeling Myself – Nicki Minaj

The title should be enough said. Feel yourself. Make everything about you. It’s okay to put yourself first! So, go out and do it, and be awesome. Also Nicki and Bey are queens.

Sorry – Beyonce

Finally, the one you all have been waiting for. This is the ultimate empowerment/fuck everything song. Beyonce is known as the queen and Lemonade had some serious tunes for getting over someone. But considering this playlist is for empowerment, Sorry was the only to make the cut. It emphasizes to again, just do you, don’t think about them, and just say “boy, bye.”

Hopefully this playlist brings you happiness and is a catalyst in getting over your ex. It is a mix between self-help ballads to ultimate bangers. Listen to it when you’re getting ready in the morning, on your way to class, and before you go to bed. You’ll get over them in no time.

University of Wisconsin