Why Sellery is the best dorm at UW-Madison

Good old Sellery, No, not the vegetable, the iconic dorm of the University of Wisconsin-Madison

Sellery Residence Hall is the best dorm on the Madison campus. Hands down. One could easily say this dorm is full of ‘character’. Yes, it may show some signs of wear and tear from years of eager freshman living out their first year of their college experience, but as a current resident of Sellery, I can say it is the best place to call home.

One of the best things about Sellery is its prime location! It’s practically right next to Gordon’s Dining Hall, aka one of the greatest cafeterias on campus.

After a long night of studying, it is the perfect reward to walk the two minutes and get Madison’s famous Babcock ice cream. Sellery is also a three minute walk to the SERF (Student Exercise and Recreation Facility), which is necessary after a few too many trips to the dining hall. Whether you want to pig out or ball out, Sellery’s location makes it possible to do both.

Maybe Sellery isn’t the most newly renovated residence hall at UW-Madison, but it does have character. It gives its residents the opportunity to get creative with decor (unless they enjoy prison-like white brick walls and dim lighting). The perfect excuse to hang your Friends poster, world map, and sparkly lights and seem super tumblr-esque.

You could definitely say the residents of Sellery are activists for animals’ rights. Or, they can at leasat enjoy a good meme. Either way, it is all too common to see a tribute to Harambe drawn on the whiteboards of the doors. You truly can’t help but chuckle when you read them.

Surprisingly, one of the greatest parts of Sellery is the communal bathrooms. I know you might be thinking I’m crazy, but there is truly nothing as confidence-building as walking past your fellow classmates’ open doors wearing nothing but a bathrobe. Although it may seem awkward showering in stalls with strangers surrounding you, there is nothing that brings people together like harmonizing to Beyonce when your showering (even if you’re tone deaf).

Did I forget to mention Sellery Residence Hall is a nationally ranked party dorm (7th in the country, according to the Huffington Post)? That’s right, there is always a party going on in Sellery. By far, the best location to pre-game. You can always hear The Chainsmokers blasting on a Friday, setting the mood for a crazy night ahead.

We’ve already established Sellery isn’t the newest or most updated of the residence halls, but it is the people that make the hall so great. Walking down the hall, 90 percent of the doors are open, and a majority of the time the residents are out in the hallway getting to know each other. Speaking from personal experience, they’ll even barge into your room to start conversations (whether you like it or not).

People are just waiting to become future study buddies, Zumba partners, and close friends. Everybody is bursting with first-year enthusiasm and eagerness, and it is energy and closeness that is unique to Sellery Residence Hall.

University of Wisconsin