Wisconsin women lead a demonstration against sexual assault

They marched their way through campus

On May 3rd at 7pm the women at the University of Wisconsin-Madison took back the night with a march that beganĀ on Bascom Hill.

They marched up State Street, through Langdon Street, and eventually ended at Memorial Union.

Photo Courtesy of Maddie Sweitzer

The head organizer Claire VanVakenburg explained the need for this march:

“This is a march to end the sexual violence that has occurred repeatedly, shamefully, throughout this school year. We are done. Done waiting for someone to solve this issue. Done waiting for assaulters to learn. We are taking it upon ourselves to end sexual violence on campus, to have the RIGHT to feel safe walking home, and to have the RIGHT to SPEAK OUT against these terrible events.”

From the hours of 7pm to 9pm anyone in the near by vicinity could hear the chants being shouted from the streets.

“This is our life! These streets are ours! Take back the night!”

Photo Courtesy of Maddie Sweitzer

“2,4,6,8! Stop the violence! Stop the rape!”

Photo Courtesy of Maddie Sweitzer.

“One struggle, one fight! Gay, straight, black, white!”

Photo Courtesy of Claire VanValkenburg.

“However we dress! Wherever we go! Yes means yes, and no means no!”

Photo Courtesy of Maddie Sweitzer

When asked how she felt about the overall success about the march and what she hopes for the future Claire VanVakenburg responded:

“I was really happy with the turnout of the demonstration, it just goes to show how passionate the students of UW-Madison are and how desperately we need a change. I hope next year brings new regulations regarding this sensitive issue, so that the students can begin to feel safe walking on this campus.”

Photo Courtesy of Maddie Sweitzer.

A petition has been created on Change.org to petition for UW-Madison Sexual Advocacy.

University of Wisconsin