Watching the First Lady and Secretary of State on stage together was truly amazing

Hillary Clinton’s Winston-Salem rally was historic

Thursday, October 27, 2016, is a day that will go down as one of the most historic and memorable days of my life.  Why? I had the privilege of being in the same room with the current First Lady, Michelle Obama, and was able to witness the first female candidate for President of the United States, Hillary Clinton, at her talk.

This was the first time the pair had ever campaigned together, and they did that right here in Winston-Salem, NC. Now, the point of this is to not rant about my political beliefs, but rather to describe the rally and its significance for the city of Winston-Salem, the state of North Carolina and America as a whole.

When I stepped into the line of people around 10:30am, I could feel the energy pulsing through them all. It was a feeling that cannot be described completely in words, honestly. People chanted “H-I-L-L-A-R-Y,” children smiled and played with signs and everyone anticipated the moment the doors would open. Finally, after passing through security, my friends and I proceeded to the best seats we could find. The Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum filled up quickly. It filled up to the point that the previously blocked off upper sections were opened for more people to pour into the seats.

Once the event began around 2:05 in the afternoon, the energy of the crowd was electric. Secretary Clinton spoke first, and despite what you think about her, her shout-out to Wake Forest was so cool, as it always is when a public figure recognizes your favorite place in this country. The dynamic she and Michelle had was something I had never seen before – two women who had spent many years in the White House and were exposed to the President’s lifestyle.

I can truthfully say that after watching Secretary Clinton on television numerous times, this was by far the most easygoing she’d ever been in a public appearance. She seemed more conversational while still maintaining the conviction in her words. Her personable approach was not what the world had seen when she was debating against Donald Trump.

I liked seeing this side of Secretary Clinton because it added another dimension to her. It made her, as a presidential candidate, seem more human. Michelle Obama’s presence very well could have made that difference, but also the overwhelming amount of support, especially from Wake Forest and Winston-Salem State students, must have made her feel more comfortable. Never once did I hear anything negative from the audience about her, nor were there any protestors outside the venue that I saw.

Some people only went to see Michelle Obama speak, but that in itself attracted them to hear these influential women speak about the possibility of the next president being a woman. Even more important then being the first female President of the United States, Clinton would follow the first African American in that role – President Barack Obama. History is being created in front of my very eyes, which is amazing. Videos of this rally were all over the place on social media documenting the unique situation, for this was also the first time that a current First Lady really openly endorsed a presidential candidate.

My overall takeaway from this was something Michelle said – something I think the people of this country need to hear. She noted the importance of exercising the right to vote. This was not a matter of being Democrat or Republican, but rather it was the issue of doing what we think is the right thing for the country’s future. Though people differ on the topic of what is right, I found it interesting that she suggested people put the politics aside and focus on the morality of each of the candidates.

After an exhausting day, I can honestly say this was something I will never forget. I am confident in saying that all who attended will at least agree with that to some degree.

Wake Forest