TOTS: The best, worst bar in Blacksburg

We hate to love this place

Ah, TOTS, Top of the Stairs, the last stop on Thursday, Friday and Saturday (sometimes Tuesday and Wednesday too) nights, “the place to be” most weekends. TOTS, and its neon flag, is an integral cog in the landscape and spirit of Virginia Tech.

But it’s not even like it’s a fantastic bar. It’s constantly overcrowded, there’s an unnecessary cover, the drinks are made with bottom shelf liquor, and the bathrooms…the bathrooms are disgusting. It smells like stale beer, the floors are covered in something mysteriously sticky, and people have no sense of personal space. We hate to love this place.

Taking pictures by the flag is a need for every Hokie, singing karaoke on TOTS Tuesdays is on the Hokie Bucket list, and the Rail is a disgusting rite of passage. Somehow, TOTS has slithered its way into the hearts of Hokies and townies alike. So we asked people why in the world they keep going back.

“Whether it’s a rainy Tuesday or a sunny Friday, there is a high possibility you can find me at TOTS. It’s a local favorite that people from out of town come to for the all illustrious ‘rail.’ My dad went when he was in college and has passed it onto me. I may not always remember all the nights I go to TOTS, but I know for sure I’ve never had a bad time there.”

-Matthew, Alumni

“I think TOTS is a unique bar because it obviously has the VT flag where everyone wants to take pictures. But sometimes it sucks because no one likes to dance and the music is weird sometimes.”

-Christine, Senior

“TOTS has a great atmosphere and there’s so much to do there, but as I got older I started really hating the crowd and having to pay the cover became less and less appealing. I still go but usually only in the summer when there’s no cover and I can save my money, not have to deal with the crowds, and the bathrooms stay in much better shape.”

-Virginia, Alumni

“It’s the bar that everyone goes to. It has music, decently priced drinks. But like I said, everyone goes so it’s always hot and sticky and there’s no way to move around efficiently. Plus it’s the only bar in Blacksburg that has a cash cover.”

-Quandra, Senior

“It’s the best bar in Blacksburg for the atmosphere that is created. There’s a dance floor, outside seating when the weather is nice and that pit area where you can mingle and play oversized Jenga. But it’s also the worst because of how many people it attracts which makes everything get grungy, super fast.”

Sarah, Alumni

“TOTS is great if you want be surrounded by drunk assholes but also want to play giant Jenga and get free drinks from those assholes.”

-Jessica, Alumni

No matter how trashy it can get, there’s no place we’d rather be every weekend.

Virginia Tech