Ghostlight Project event set to happen Thursday night

‘The Ghostlight Project is… YOU’

The Theatre and Cinema department at Virginia Tech has invited its colleagues, students, and alumni to gather on the steps of Theatre 101 at 5:25pm Thursday, January 19th to “create a light for dark times ahead,” referencing the upcoming inauguration of President-elect Trump. This event is just one manifestation of the project, which pledges to continue supporting the social justice work of theaters.

Image from theghostlightproject.com

The Ghostlight Project is a project happening in theaters across the nation at 5:30 in their respective time zone. The goal is to create “brave spaces,” defined as a place where all are welcome regardless of sex, race, religion, class, etc., and the vocalization of all opinions is encouraged freely.

Those interesting in attending the Thursday night event are asked to show up on time at 5:25 with a light to shine. Susanna Rinehart will read a welcome statement before the protest officially begins at 5:30. At that time, lights will be turned on and a moment of silence will be shared as participants reflect on their values and how they plan to uphold these values. Participants will then be led to the Studio Theatre, in which they will direct their lights at the ghostlight and the majors meeting will begin.

“The project is committed to the same values outlined in Virginia Tech’s Principles of Community and the values upon which I believe our program and our work together is premised,” wrote Rhinehart as she encouraged students to attend the gathering.

This meeting will happen shortly before the majors meeting the same night. Information about this event was sent out in an email to those involved with the department Wednesday morning. Theatre and Cinema majors are not required to attend but should know their meeting has been moved to 5:45pm due to the project. To officially join the project, you should visit the project’s website or contact the project via email.

Virginia Tech