VT students protest Trump’s presidency

Students chanted ‘not my president,’ ‘build bridges not walls’ and ‘we don’t welcome racists here’

At 3:30 p.m. today, about a hundred students gathered on the steps of Burruss Hall to protest Donald Trump’s election. The students screamed chants on multiple topics, including “My body, my choice. Your body, your choice,” “My freedom is your freedom. My oppression is your oppression” and “Tech DREAMers.” Some chants were directed specifically to President-elect Trump, including “not my president,” “build bridges not walls” and “we don’t welcome racists here.”

This was not a random group of students screaming on the steps of the building where President Sands office is. Most students in attendance had home-made signs, with others joining the protest as they walked by on their way to class.

It is unclear if this protest was organized by a specific student organization on campus, or by multiple organizations coming together. One thing is for sure, these students were following the trend of students across the country by peacefully showing their anger and disappointment in the election of Donald Trump.

Virginia Tech