The official presidential pardoned Thanksgiving turkey to live in Blacksburg

That feeling when a turkey has a better life than you…

Yes, even Obama loves the Hokies! So much so that this year’s presidential pardoned turkey will be calling Virginia Tech home.

To kick off the holiday season, each year the president “pardons” a hand-picked turkey, keeping the bird off of our Thanksgiving tables and away from Grandma’s delicious homemade stuffing. Instead, the turkey’s life is spared and it is free to live a life of luxury foraging through rolling hills and do whatever it is that turkey’s love doing. A family in Iowa was chosen to raise the Presidential Bird and its alternate. The birds were chosen based on temperament and appearance where they are then escorted to the Nation’s Capital and receive first class treatment – staying at a hotel and are showcased at media events.

This year, the pardoned turkey and its alternate will be living out its celeb days at Gobbler’s Rest, a newly built enclosure inside Virginia Tech’s Livestock Judging Pavillon. In previous years, the pardoned turkeys have lived out their days at historic sites such as Mount Vernon or tourist destinations such as Disney World where they serve as an honorary icon in the annual Thanksgiving Day Parade.

This will be the first time that a pardoned turkey will live at the university. Ironic? Maybe, but Virginia Tech was actually chosen to host the bird and its alternate because not only is the school the home to the Hokie Bird and Fighting Gobbler, but surprisingly it is also where the turkey industry has its roots.

In the 1920’s a Virginia Tech professor by the name of Charles Wampler helped to pioneer the turkey and poultry industry, eventually earning the title of “The Father of the modern turkey industry.”

The Virginia Tech community will have more opportunities to see and learn about the lucky birds November 25th through the 26th from 10am to 4pm at the Livestock Judging Pavillion (445 Plantation Road in Blacksburg). Hokies are also encouraged to use the hashtag #TurkeyPardon2016 to follow along with the infamous turkey and track its journey all the way from the White House to the hills of Virginia Tech.

Although millions of turkeys will meet their terrible, yet delicious fate this holiday season, these presidential birds get to catch a lucky break.

Gobble Gobble Hokies!!!

Virginia Tech