Why you need to vote Fuente-Foster on Election Day

The only logical choice in this election

If you’re anything like me, the longer this election season drags on, the more confused you get. The debates made things muddier, more unclear and both candidates seem like terrible options. Not to worry, though. Hokie Nation has had the perfect candidate right under our noses the whole time: Coach Justin Fuente and running mate defensive coordinator, Bud Foster.

Hard. Smart. Tough.

Fuente’s mantra for his first season at Virginia Tech is a good one. Not only must you play hard, smart and tough, but you must do life that way too. Pure strength is not enough to win a game or to be successful in life. You must be smart, too. And when things get difficult, you must be tough and resilient. If Coach Fuente leads the Hokies in this mindset, I can guarantee he’ll lead America this way too.

Looking out at the crowd at the latest campaign stop… I mean, football game

Making comebacks

Our two losses this season have been the most devastating. The first, the infamous Battle at Bristol, was a tough loss on a world (record) stage. We started out strong, then couldn’t stop fumbling the ball. But the Hokies walked out with their heads held high. Coach Fuente exemplified two qualities that are essential in a good president: he admitted where the team went wrong, and was quick to fix the problem.

In fact, after losing at Bristol, the Hokies won three consecutive games by 30+ points for the first time in over a decade! Even after a tragic loss at Syracuse, we bounced back quickly on Thursday night, beating Miami 37-16. We’re also able to say that the Hokies are undefeated in outdoor football stadiums this season.

Future President Justin Fuente making the weekly, post-game State of the Union address

Lunch pail defense

Any good leader knows that you need someone behind you with the experience and knowledge to help you and your nation succeed. Keeping defensive coordinator Bud Foster on staff was the perfect way for Coach Fuente to bridge the old program and the new. The “lunch pail defense” strategy is a classic, synonymous with the Virginia Tech Hokies. The lunch pail symbolizes the work ethic necessary to be a great team, so it pairs beautifully with Fuente’s Hard Smart Tough. Every great nation needs a good defense, and the Hokie Nation has one of the best.

Future Vice President Bud Foster discussing foreign policy, also known as away games

Make VT Football Great Again

If we’re being honest with ourselves, our football program hadn’t been doing so hot these last few years. We just barely made it to a bowl game last year, and we have the second longest bowl appearance streak in the country. As much as we adore Coach Beamer, everyone could admit that a change needed to be made. Fuente was the perfect choice for us. He respects Virginia Tech football traditions and brings new ideas to the table. He decided that one special teams player each week would wear number 25 to honor Coach Beamer, all while bringing new strategy to gameplay.

This is the kind of leadership America needs. Leadership that doesn’t shy away from a challenge, can rebuild a program to its former greatness, and honors community traditions. American needs the kind of leadership that knows how to come back from a loss even stronger than before and respects those who have come before them.

For those who have passed, for those to come, reach for excellence.

Fuente-Foster 2016.

All photos credit to @VT_football on Twitter.

Virginia Tech