Diplo caused hundreds of noise complaints from Blacksburg residents

Shocker

So, we won the PINK campus showdown, Diplo came, it was hype, blah blah blah.

But there have been complaints. Shocker. The town of Blacksburg received hundreds of noise complaints during the hours of the concert. Some said it rattled their windows and they could feel the bass in their homes.

I can personally attest to it. I didn’t go to the concert because 1. Diplo isn’t Rihanna and 2. because Rihanna didn’t come. I live about 1.5 miles from campus, in the Boonies, and I could hear the entire concert. I could tell which song was playing and I could feel the bass in my apartment like it was coming from somewhere in my building.

But did I call the town and complain? No, because I knew there was a concert happening and that the students not only won the concert, but they deserved it. After last week’s football game and finishing midterms, we needed a jumping concert, for free.

We students have heard about the noise complaints and while we can understand how it was troubling for the townies with kids, we’re not sorry. It was only one night – not even a night, it was four hours.

The fact that we won a national competition and were rewarded was completely overlooked because of the noise complaints. People forgot the positive side of the concert.

One concert attendee said, “This concert had several positive points that I think are being left out due to the complaints about the noise. First, it embodies a huge amount of pride for Blacksburg and Virginia Tech in general. Second, people came from other schools and states for the concert, improving the traffic to local businesses. Third, this gave students who are often scorned for their weekend habits a place and event that they actually wanted to go to that encouraged sobriety by providing an alternative activity to drinking.”

Not to mention, we are a college town and those who live here after college make the conscious decision to surround themselves with 18 to 22-year-olds. There could be worse things we could do than hold a loud concert once every few years. #youcanstaymad

Virginia Tech