How to register to vote in Blacksburg

Make your voice heard by casting your ballot

Election day is only 40 days away! For many of us at Virginia Tech, this will be the first presidential election that we are eligible to vote in! This election is also shaping up to be incredibly decisive, which makes it even more imperative that you register to vote.

As college students, most of us are living away from home. But just because you will not be in your regular voting precinct on election day doesn’t mean that you should skip voting.

If you are 18 years old, or will be 18 by the time of the general election, are a U.S. citizen, and are not a felon, you are eligible to vote!

A simple way to vote away from home (especially out-of-state students) is to request an absentee ballot from you local government. They will send it to you in the mail with a return envelope and easy to follow instructions. The only thing you have to provide is a stamp. This way you don’t have to wait in any lines on election day and can get it done early. I have already filled out my ballot and sent it in.

You can also register to vote in Blacksburg for this election. You may have seen the people walking around the library and Squires with clipboards. Their job is to sign up voters, and they would be more than willing to help you.

However, you must be a permanent resident in the state of Virginia in order to register to vote in Blacksburg. Therefore, out-of-state students are really only left with the absentee ballot option.

Follow this link to check that you fit the requirements to register to vote in Blacksburg, and then register!

This election is only getting closer and closer, and every vote will count. As Virginia Tech students, let’s fulfill Ut Prosim and serve our patriotic duty by casting our vote in the presidential election.

Reminder: Election day is November 8th

Virginia Tech