What we need to take away from Suicide Prevention Week

In Virginia one person dies every eight hours by suicide

Last week was National Suicide Prevention Week. Suicide is a big deal, and it’s affected nearly everyone. According to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, there are 117 suicides every day. In Virginia, on average, one person dies by suicide every eight hours.

I sat down with Laura Miller, counselor at the Cook Counseling Center, to talk about this important issue.

Why is suicide prevention important to you?

Suicide prevention is important to me because suicide is preventable. As with any other medical and mental health condition, there are measures that can be taken to provide treatment to prevent death. This provides hope for those who may be experiencing suicidal thoughts or who know a loved one who may be. I also have a passion for helping those experiencing suicidal thoughts because in most settings we are given social cues that talking about suicide is taboo or to be avoided. I want to get the word out that this does not have to be the case. Stigma is one of the largest barriers for individuals getting the treatment they need. However, by creating an open and nonjudgmental environment, you may help someone get the life-saving treatment they need, as well as the healing power of an authentic human connection.

What advice would you give to people who may be experiencing suicidal thoughts?

You don’t deserve to continue feeling this way. You can feel better and you don’t have to carry this burden alone. It can be very scary to reach out to someone and talk about your experiences, or maybe you’ve lost hope after dealing with suicidal thoughts for so long. You may have even had a time when you tried to reach out but were rejected or shut down. I want to encourage you to connect with a mental health professional, such as a counselor, therapist, psychiatrist, psychologist, or social worker. We are trained to help you get the treatment you need. If you feel this step is too big, find a trusted person in your life that you know won’t turn you away. It might be a trusted and supportive family member, friend, roommate, professor, spiritual advisor, coworker, or classmate. And if you are approached by someone expressing their struggles with suicidal thoughts, never feel like you are the sole person responsible for helping them. Contact a mental health professional to receive guidance and support.

• Virginia Tech’s Thomas E. Cook Counseling Center, 540-231-6557, ucc.vt.edu

What advice would you give to people who have had a friend or family member commit suicide?

Grieving is a difficult process for everyone, and grieving after a suicide adds another layer of sorrow. It’s also important to remember that the trajectory for grief and grieving is unique to each person. It is typical for people grieving after suicide to experience a variety of emotions, such as shock, numbness, sadness, despair, anger and apathy. Some may find it difficult to go about normal tasks of daily living and even experience difficulty concentrating, sleeping, eating or retaining information. This is common and will likely pass after a while. Any self-blaming, second guessing or trying to piece together gaps in information you are doing is also natural. It’s how our minds to try to make sense of unexplainable events; however, you don’t own any blame. Allow yourself space and time to grieve in whatever ways seem to make sense to you during this time. My advice would be to connect with others, whether it’s other people who are experiencing the loss with you, or family and friends who can provide a supportive space for you. I would also encourage someone grieving a loved one to also find formal means of support such as with a Survivors of Suicide group or by seeking mental health or spiritual counseling.

What do you think Virginia Tech as a whole could do to better prevent suicides?

As I mentioned previously, stigma related to talking about death and suicide is the biggest barrier to getting treatment for those thinking of suicide. The good news is this doesn’t have to be the case. If you notice a roommate, friend, classmate, sibling, parent, colleague or professor not quite seeming like themselves – maybe their mood or behavior has changed – find a private time to talk with them about what you’ve noticed and how it has concerned you. Don’t be afraid to ask someone directly if they are thinking of suicide. You will not be “planting” this idea in their head. It is much more likely to be met with a sigh of relief and allow for those struggles to be shared. Next, help connect them with resources or another trusted person who can get them to the resources they need. Here at Virginia Tech, you can talk with a faculty or staff member, an RA or a counselor at Cook Counseling Center.

For those wanting to learn more about becoming involved with suicide prevention or mental health advocacy, see the following organizations on Virginia Tech’s campus to get involved:

Virginia Tech