I did full glam makeup for a week and it was awful

10/10 would not recommend

Hello, my name is Sara and I am a self proclaimed makeup addict. My addiction knows no bounds. It abuses my wallet, it takes up my time and conquers a lot of space in my apartment. It’s my best friend and my favorite past time. I research it day and night, I try to keep up with trends and I buy the new “must- haves” as soon as they come out. But just because I love makeup, doesn’t mean I wear it everyday. It’s like a boyfriend. You like to hang out with him, but if you see him everyday, you’ll want to kill him. Ain’t nobody’s got time for that. During the days I actually bother to put it on, my makeup level teeters back and forth from simple to full-on glam. My “glam” days usually happen when I don’t have to be in class until 11am or on the weekends when I have no time constraints. I’ll spend up to an hour doing my makeup. Before you judge me, don’t. It’s relaxing and it’s my time of solitude.

I love my glam days, it boosts my confidence and productivity believe it or not. When I say “glam,” I mean like red carpet glam (false eyelashes, heavy contour, baking, bold eye looks and lots of lipstick). So, what would happen if I did full glam everyday for a week? I had to find out.

Monday

I will admit, I completely forgot about this little challenge. It didn’t dawn on me until about 3pm that day and by that time I gave up. I decided to do better tomorrow.

Tuesday

I was so tired that morning but I knew I had to force myself to put my face on. I got up at 6am because I had a meeting at 8. It took about an hour and a half to achieve this white out winged liner look. By the time I got out of meeting and went to campus, I was feeling good. Too good. I was confident and happy because I knew I looked good. So I thought “why waste this look by going to class for five hours?” So I didn’t. I decided to spend the day with my friends – probably not a great choice in the long run.

Wednesday

You know what’s not a good idea? Drinking on a Tuesday when you have to work at 9am the next day. 10 out of 10 would not recommend. I woke up at 8:40 feeling absolutely horrible. I accepted my defeat and crawled out of bed and went to work. I didn’t do my hair, much less my makeup. After work, I came home and slept for a few hours. When I finally got up, I made myself put on at least some makeup so I could keep up with the challenge. It wasn’t full glam, but it was something.

Thursday

I love Thursdays. I don’t have to be anywhere until 11am and I can sleep in until 7. That morning I still wasn’t feeling like putting on lashes and contouring, but I did anyway. And it came out great, if I do say so myself. The amount of compliments I got on Thursday was incredible. “I love your makeup,” “your makeup looks so good,” “you need to teach me how to do mine like that.” I was so flattered. The only irritating thing was, my eyelash kept coming off because it was hot and I was sweating all day. I had to carry lash glue with me to all my classes. I gladly ripped those babies off as soon as I got home that night.

Friday

I was so excited for Friday because A. It was Friday. B. It was the start of a long weekend. And C. I only had to work for three hours and had no classes. I got up at 6:30am on the dot and was excited to start the day. I was actually really impressed by how my makeup came out (I did a pink smoky eye that was to die for). But by the time I finished all my responsibilities for the day, it was only 6pm, I was so bored and I looked too good to waste it by staying in my apartment alone. I called all my friends to see if they wanted to go out, but big surprise, everyone went home for the weekend. So, I only got to grace my cat my presence. I’m sure she appreciated it.

Saturday

Because I skipped Monday, I had to make it up and push through Saturday too. I was so impressed with myself on Saturday, I did my makeup in 20 minutes flat. Do you know how much of an accomplishment it is to do fake eyelashes, a smoky eye and baking all in 20 minutes? It’s darn near impossible. But all the practicing I did that week allowed me to breeze through my makeup routine. I was looking good and feeling good. That wasn’t a good thing because it made me not want to be at home. My rationale was “if you stay home, no one will see your work, so you have to go out.” So I went out and I stayed out. That seemed like a good idea… until the next morning.

The aftermath

Makeup should be a hobby, something you do to relieve stress. But this week, it became a major stressor. Despite having a boost of confidence most of the week, I will never, ever do full glam every day again. I was so tired every morning and I couldn’t take my daily naps the way I wanted because I would mess up my face. I think I’ll stick to doing my makeup whenever I please and however I please.

@littlerosiesturn

Virginia Tech