Dallas transfer Jerod Evans named Hokies’ starting QB

Is Fuente making the right decision?

Hokies head coach Justin Fuente announced transfer Jerod Evans as the starting quarterback last week. The junior beat out redshirt senior Brenden Motley for the job.

Motley, who grew up in Christiansburg and started six games for the Hokies last season, was expected to be the starter for his senior year before Fuente became the new head coach. With a new system and new transfer coming in, however, a quarterback contest began.

Many thought Motley had proven himself over the past two years. After having a few impressive shows of athleticism in the 2014 season, Motley took over as starter for six games in 2015 following Michael Brewer’s injury. Even after Brewer came back, Motley played a key role in the Hokies’ late-season surge to the Independence Bowl, often being useful in trick plays and quarterback draws.

But, Evans is better.

Last year at Trinity Valley Community College, he threw 38 touchdowns and only three interceptions… in just eight games. At 6’4 and 230 pounds, Evans is the perfect athlete for Fuente’s new offensive scheme. He’ll be a dual-threat option that can pass or run the ball to get downfield.

With receivers Cam Phillips and Isaiah Ford returning for the 2016 season, it’ll be important for the next Tech QB to be smart at throwing the football. Evans hasn’t had any major football experience, but his success at the junior level and during the offseason gives Fuente confidence in his starting quarterback.

“For right now, I would say we’ve had a few more predicted outcomes, in terms of executing,” Fuente said. “He is a good athlete.”

Source: The Key Play

While Evans is the starter for the season-opener, that doesn’t necessarily mean Motley won’t have a role in Fuente’s offense. Don’t be surprised to see him in the backfield with Jerod on more than a few plays against Liberty.

“I’m a team-first guy,” Motley said.  “If that’s what coach wants to do, that’s fine with me.”

Fuente expressed satisfaction with all three of his quarterbacks, including freshman Josh Jackson.

“I’m pleased with all of them,” Fuente told Tech Sideline. “They’ve all handled it well.  I’m confident that they’ll continue to develop and get better.  We’re going to continue to get those other guys ready to play.”

As for the new starter, there wasn’t much celebration. He just sent the news to his father over a text message.

“Just a quick text, then it’s straight to business,” Evans said.

Virginia Tech