What every freshman needs to know about Tech football

It’s not ‘Vah-Tech’

We’re about one month away from the best time of the year: college football season! As all you Hokies know, football is more than a sport here at Virginia Tech – it’s a way of life. Game day brings us all together and gives us a sanctuary to escape the stress of school.

There are plenty of traditions and facts you should be aware of before kickoff on September 3. Here is what you need to know for football season in Blacksburg.

Enter Sandman

No caption needed

I couldn’t help but put this at the top of the list. Metallica’s 25-year-old hit never gets old in Blacksburg, and there’s a great reason why. Nothing beats the feeling of jumping to that guitar riff with the Hokie Nation as the team runs onto the field.

A new era for Hokie football

Frank Beamer wasn’t just a football coach – he was (and still is) a great leader in this community. He has been the face of the program for three decades and stood with Virginia Tech in the aftermath of the 2007 tragedy. He will be missed greatly on Saturday afternoons.

Coach Fuente with the lunch pail. Source: @VT_Football

It’s definitely bittersweet with the exit of Coach Beamer, but fans are excited to see what Justin Fuente does with the program. He had an impressive stint at Memphis and is relatively young for a head coach at 40. The offensive-minded coach will be interesting to follow as he takes the reigns of a defensive powerhouse.

The streak

Tech fans get behind the Hokies at the 2014 Military Bowl.

Virginia Tech boasts the longest active bowl streak in the nation at 23.  The last season the Hokies failed to reach the postseason was 1992, so don’t let anyone tell you that the Hokies suck.

The Commonwealth Cup

12 straight, but ‘Hoos counting? Source: Yahoo

In addition to the bowl streak, Virginia Tech has held the Commonwealth Cup for almost 12 years. The Hokies haven’t lost to the Virginia Cavaliers since November 29, 2003 – and that shouldn’t change anytime soon. No matter how bad things may look for Tech football, there’s always the satisfaction of knowing that UVA will always be inferior.

Bring your keys

Every third down is known as the “key play” here in Blacksburg. You’ll know what to do when everyone shakes their car keys and gets behind the defense.

Big games in 2016

While the past four years have been tough for Tech fans, there is still a lot to be optimistic about. Along with the two streaks previously mentioned and Coach Fuente bringing in change, we have some big games to get excited for.

Miami will be coming to Lane Stadium for Thursday Night Football (10/20), and ECU will be here for homecoming (9/24). It’s time to get some revenge on the Hurricanes and Pirates.

Be sure to arrive early and dress warm for Thursday Night Football!

Speaking of big games…

Battle at Bristol

Virginia Tech will take on Tennessee at Bristol Motor Speedway on September 10. The game is expected to set the attendance record for an NCAA football game, so you won’t want to miss this one!

The Virginia Tech-Tennessee game is expected to set the NCAA record for attendance. Source: SB Nation

Can’t make the game? Turn on the TV and have your hall-mates pile into your dorm room, or head downtown to PK’s or Champs to catch kickoff. There will be plenty of ways to watch the Hokies make history.

It’s not “Vah-Tech”

I don’t know how many times I need to say this. To all of you out-of-state freshman and sports journalists: we are either “Virginia Tech” or “VT.”

Do not, ever, refer to us as “VA Tech,” “V-Tech” or “Vah-Tech.” Whenever some commentator on ESPN calls this great university one of these, I can’t help but cringe.

The lottery system

Don’t forget to tailgate before kickoff!

Make sure you sign up for the lottery before each home game. For all the reasons listed above and many more, Gameday in Blacksburg is something you never want to miss. From the pre-gaming at apartments (or dorm rooms if you’re careful), to hanging with friends in a packed bar downtown, to jumping in Lane Stadium with 66,000 Hokies, Saturdays are a great experience that you need to be a part of. Don’t sleep in your dorm room and miss out on all the fun.

If you don’t get a ticket through the lottery, post in Facebook groups or find some cheap tickets online. Whatever you do, be sure to make it out on Gameday!

It’s a great time to be a Hokie

Football is back on the front pages. Ticket prices have gone up. Attendance is expected to be higher. Bigger games are on the schedule.

Incoming freshmen couldn’t come at a better time. Tech football hit the reset button with Coach Fuente, and things can only get better from here. The Hokies are projected to have a winning season, so another bowl game is highly likely.

Now that you know all the facts about the 2016 season, you’re ready to grab a beer and jump to Enter Sandman at Lane! See you at kickoff!

Virginia Tech