Why VA Governor Terry McAuliffe could be the next Vice President

Clinton-McAuliffe 2016?

With Hillary Clinton appearing as the obvious Democratic nominee for President, political junkies are arguing over who she will pick as her running mate.  The former Secretary of State shares the same problem with Mr. Trump in that she will need to unite her party for November’s election (Bernie Sanders is still in it believe it or not).  So who is the best choice for Hillary’s running mate?  Well, Terry McAuliffe of Virginia may not be the most well-known Democrat in the country, but recent signs have hinted that he is in consideration for the job.  Let’s take a look at some key reasons the Governor has a good shot at VP:

Clinton endorsed him for Governor in 2013

Hillary Clinton has been active in the political field since her career began.  Her endorsement for McAuliffe in Virginia’s 2013 gubernatorial election certainly wasn’t her first.  However, it was her first major political statement since resigning from the Obama Administration.  Experts point to her endorsement as the point where Clinton re-entered the political landscape, unofficially starting her run for President.  While it doesn’t mean McAuliffe is the definite choice for her VP, it shows the respect shared between the two, which is something to look at during an election year.

He’s not new to the Presidential race

Prior to taking office, McAuliffe was best known for his work as Chairman of the Democratic National Committee.  During his time as Chairman, he worked to restructure the party’s primary schedule in 2004 and raised money to help Democratic politicians win in the 2006 midterm elections.

He’s also worked directly with Clinton in the past, both in President Bill Clinton’s re-election campaign and as co-chairman of Hillary’s 2008 Presidential bid.  His experience and success in previous political campaigns would be a huge asset to Clinton’s run for President, and her campaign staff knows that.

He’s been very active this past year

Let’s be blunt for a minute. Politicians today often don’t get much of anything done unless they’re preparing for a campaign.  McAuliffe has never been a lame duck, but he’s been a very busy man in 2016.  Last month, he found himself on the national stage when he signed an executive order that restored voting rights to ex-felons.  Just a few weeks ago, he authorized $46.7 million in state funding to go towards the Virginia Tech Carilion Research Center.

It’s no coincidence McAuliffe is positioning himself in the spotlight.  He knows he’s a potential pick for Vice President, and building up a profile will not only help him with voters, but also with Clinton.

He can get the moderate vote

Clinton is a progressive.  Despite what Sanders supporters will tell you, she has a record of voting and governing on the more liberal side; there’s a reason Republicans always unite against her.  For every liberal that supports her, there’s a conservative that will cast a vote against her.  For her to beat Trump in November, she will need to pick someone who can attract those on the fence.

McAuliffe isn’t exactly a conservative governor; he’s advocated for stricter gun control and is a firm supporter of Obamacare.  However, there is one thing about him that Republicans like, he is a successful businessman.  If McAuliffe were to tout himself as a champion of small business, he could win over a sizable number of moderate voters, and even conservatives who haven’t backed Trump yet.

Virginia is a key swing state

Probably the most obvious reason McAuliffe is on Hillary’s list.  Virginia is one of the most important states in this election, and both campaigns know it.  Clinton and Trump have both planned numerous stops in the Commonwealth on the campaign trail, and it could be one of the closest contested states in November.  McAuliffe may have pissed off conservatives with his executive order last month, but he’s still popular among Virginia Democrats.

By choosing McAuliffe as her VP nominee, Clinton could not only win over more voters, but could save time and energy on the campaign trail.  As the governor of a swing state, Terry McAuliffe would most likely be doing more campaigning in his home turf, which would allow the Presidential candidate to focus on other important states like Ohio.

It’s difficult to tell the exact chances of McAuliffe getting on the Democratic ticket.  There are plenty of other choices for Clinton’s running mate, but it’s safe to say the Governor is in consideration.

Virginia Tech