Don’t have an internship? Just enjoy your summer

Not being with that marketing firm in New York doesn’t make you lazy or a failure

Didn’t get that intern position you applied for?  Didn’t apply to any internships at all? Either way, don’t sweat it; a lot of students are in your shoes, even if it doesn’t look like it.

We’ve built in this idea of what every person our age should do: graduate high school, go straight to college, get an internship or two, graduate college, get a good job right after.  While I’m certainly not degrading anyone who chooses this path exactly as it’s laid out, there’s something to be said for individuality.  OK I’ll spare you the bullshit; who said you can’t have fun or settle down for a summer?

Whether you’re taking some summer classes, working as a waitress, trying to find yourself, or just kicking it back for the next three months, you do you.  Yeah internships are great and all, but we’ll be working for the rest of our lives; might as well take it easy while you can.  This goes out to all you students bumming it this summer.

To the guy taking summer classes

I’m right there with you, man.  You’ve got a few free months; might as well knock some credits out right?  If you can do it, by all means go for it.  School isn’t just for fall and spring; I know a handful of people who graduated early because they took some extra courses during a summer.  While it’s the least fun option on this list, it’s definitely the most productive.  Power to all the summer students!

To the waitresses and lifeguards

“Can’t. I’m broke,” is one of the most common phrases among college students.  We all know the ramen-pizza-campus food diet, especially if we’re not working during the semester.  But you all will be the ones getting guac on your burrito this fall.  When your friends get back from their (unpaid) internships in August, you’ll be the annoying one with all the money, and it’ll be awesome.

To those of you who don’t know where you are

Hey, we’re all human.  We all need to figure our shit out sooner or later.  There’s no such thing as a college student who has everything under control, so don’t fret if you didn’t get that position this summer.  Take some time to goof off, go to the beach, find out what you like, call up your high school friends.  It’s better to chill and slack off at 21 during college than at 35 with a family.

Whatever the reason you don’t have a “big boy job” this summer, you’re not alone.  Plenty of students take a few months to relax or find themselves, and there’s nothing wrong with that.  People may call you lazy or you may feel jealous of your friend who spent her summer with a company up in Boston, but just remember; you have the rest of your life ahead of you – there’s no need to rush into your career.

Virginia Tech